What size tank do I need for my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What size tank do I need for my fish? I am over crowded and need a bigger tank. Here is a list of fish I have in my 20 gallon tank. I was thinking a 40 Gallon tank, or bigger. Would a 29 gallon work? Thanks.
1. 9 Glo fish Tetra
2. 5 spotted cory's
3. 3 Panda Cory's
4. 6 Red eyed Tetra's
5. 1 small spotted Cory

A tank that is 3 foot long would be a great size for them but they would probably fit into a 30 inch tank. However, the 3 foot tank would give you room to add more of each species to build their numbers up, and maybe add a few other different fish.

Not really. It's only 6" longer than what you have now. Fish do better in longer, wider tanks. The advantage of a 29 is that it was taller than a 20 long. Both are 30" L x 12" wide. There used to be a 30 gallon long which was 36" L x 12" w but that tank was discontinued and now there is the 40 breeder which is the same length & height of the 30 long only wider. THAT would be the better tank for what you have. High tanks look nice but do not do for the fish what length and width do.
Your other option is to trade in the fish you have for fish that do not grow large or need a lot of space to swim and will do fine in a 20 High. These are all going to be smaller fish. Neon Tetras, Glo-lite Tetras, White cloud minnows, Harliquin Rasboras, Lamb Chop Rasboras, Pigmy corydora catfish, Zebra Danios, Pearl Danios, the list goes on. None of these fish reach 2" in length so they would do fine in a 24" long tank.

Would this be a big enough tank?

Aqueon Tank Breeder Black 36X18X16 40gal
I found on Amazon.

I called my pet store

Yes, this is the 40 gallon breeder tank I mentioned.

I called my pet store and they are going to get me a 40 gallon long tank. So by Sunday I will have it. I am also going to add sand for my cory fish.

A 40 gallon long? That's a 4' long tank. Same as a 55 gallon only shorter in height. That's not the same as the 40 gallon breeder. Will it be a better tank? Sure, because it has more length for the fish to spread out and swim. (y)

How many bags of sand do I need for my 40 Gallon?

I ordered ...AquaNatural Oolitic Aragonite 10lb Aquarium Sand

Thank you.

A 40 gallon long? That's a 4' long tank. Same as a 55 gallon only shorter in height. That's not the same as the 40 gallon breeder. Will it be a better tank? Sure, because it has more length for the fish to spread out and swim. (y)

Thanks for your reply. I hope my fish will be happy with their new home.
Going from 20 gallon, to a 40 gallon, long. Moving on up, up grade for new fish tank. :fish2::fish2::dance::thanks:(y)

I ordered ...AquaNatural Oolitic Aragonite 10lb Aquarium Sand

Why did you choose this sand? It's an ocean calcium carbonate sand that will raise your Ph and hardness in the water. What you want for catfish is a Silica sand like Playground sand or Pool filter sand. You get these at Home Depot or Lowes much cheaper than from a pet store because you get a good sized bag for cheap. Stay away from the colored sands or sands with sharp edges as they will hurt the barbels on the fish. Plain white or beige sand is all you need.

Is this the sand I want?

Why did you choose this sand? It's an ocean calcium carbonate sand that will raise your Ph and hardness in the water. What you want for catfish is a Silica sand like Playground sand or Pool filter sand. You get these at Home Depot or Lowes much cheaper than from a pet store because you get a good sized bag for cheap. Stay away from the colored sands or sands with sharp edges as they will hurt the barbels on the fish. Plain white or beige sand is all you need.

Is this the sand I want? And if so how many bags do I need for 40 gallon long? If this is not the sand I want, just let me know, Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/AquaNatural-...7216&sprefix=play+sand+for+fish,aps,96&sr=8-4 Or what about this sand?
https://www.amazon.com/PlaySand-Qui...1527788&sprefix=Silica+sand+l,aps,114&sr=8-24

Well I order from home depot

Well I order from home depot. I received 3 whole bags of play sand for 47 dollars. I can't wait to set up my new tank. My Fishes will love it to. There not kidding when they say fish keeping is expensive.

Well I order from home depot. I received 3 whole bags of play sand for 47 dollars. I can't wait to set up my new tank. My Fishes will love it to. There not kidding when they say fish keeping is expensive.
Why so much $$? Was there shipping involved?
You will need to rinse the sand to get any dust out before putting it in the tank. Do this in small batches in a bucket outdoors then place in the aquarium. ( You don't want sand to get into any drains in the house.) I do not use a deep bed of sand as you don't really want things to decay into the sand bed. An inch to 1 1/2" is deep enough for your cories.

As for the expense, yes, fish keeping can be as expensive as you make it. In the case of this sand, I would have picked it up for $5 a bag so the only extra expense would have been the cost of the car ride to and from the store. That would not have cost me $32. :whistle: Amazon is not the cheapest place to get everything aquatic. It's also not the best place to get aquarium related advice. :whistle: Support a local shop and you will get better advice and prices on many items. (y)

I have a strainer

Why so much $$? Was there shipping involved?
You will need to rinse the sand to get any dust out before putting it in the tank. Do this in small batches in a bucket outdoors then place in the aquarium. ( You don't want sand to get into any drains in the house.) I do not use a deep bed of sand as you don't really want things to decay into the sand bed. An inch to 1 1/2" is deep enough for your cories.

As for the expense, yes, fish keeping can be as expensive as you make it. In the case of this sand, I would have picked it up for $5 a bag so the only extra expense would have been the cost of the car ride to and from the store. That would not have cost me $32. :whistle: Amazon is not the cheapest place to get everything aquatic. It's also not the best place to get aquarium related advice. :whistle: Support a local shop and you will get better advice and prices on many items. (y)

I have a strainer that I can put the sand in. Is that ok to use over the sink, or do I still got to go outside. The 50 pound bag is way to heavy for me to carry outside. I'm going to have someone help me with it. I can barely pick up the 50 pound bag. I have a 40 gallon tank, so how many 50 gallon bags do I need to use?

For every inch depth of substrate in the 40 gallon long tank you mention above you will need about 40 pounds of sand. Assuming you are going for 2 to 3 inches depth of substrate you are going to need about 100 pounds of sand.

For every inch depth of substrate in the 40 gallon long tank you mention above you will need about 40 pounds of sand. Assuming you are going for 2 to 3 inches depth of substrate you are going to need about 100 pounds of sand.

Can I rinse in a strainer? Is too heavy for me to take outside.

I would take it outside. You will just fill your drains with silt doing it inside. Just take half a bucket of sand outside, rinse it, take the bucket inside and transfer it to your new tank. Repeat etc.

Back
Top Bottom