HLLE in super red severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. I've been talking with someone, craigslist, about buying their 125 g and fish. Today he told me his severum died and that HLLE runs in hybrid sevs and that the rest of the fish are healthy.. Have you heard this or does this sound like a red flag. Could it mean other fish might be unhealthy? I had only planned of keeping a couple, but still... Could this mean the tank itself is infected? If so and if I decide to go through with it, would you treat with just large daily w/c or meds
thanks!

large water changes i think are best. if the fish have hlle it would tell me the water conditions were not kept ideal, but most can be nursed back to health. im sure HUKIT or some of the other sa/ca cichlid people will be along shortly and can give a better answer.

large water changes i think are best. if the fish have hlle it would tell me the water conditions were not kept idea

Spot on my friend BIG red flag, it's true that new worlds are prone to HLLE but it's the result of poor water and diet quality. I would pass unless the fish is free and your willing to put the effort to try and heal it, some scarring may remain but it can be eliminated with the correct process.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the fish just come with the 125. I can only keep a couple due to how many I already have. If they seem to be in ok condition I will try to reverse the damage =) So if I don't see any visible signs of disease on the fish and after a little cycling/ water parameters are good (the tank has been up a while) , Do you think it would be ok to add my fish into the tank?

Thanks again, I will also observe the ones I keep for any weird behavior in the interim =)
side note: I'm paranoid of disease, if you remember the outbreak in my peacock/hap tank, lost 4 and down to 8 fish, but all the rest seem ok.. I had a fish perish while we camped weeks ago.. the rest pretty much ate him up while we were gone.. do you think this could have contributed to my outbreak? If that fish were diseased it would quickly spread to others or no? (along with the fact tank is still cycling) I treated again with all in one, couldn't put my fish down.., So now have bad water readings again...... I borrowed some media though, am still doing large daily wcs and am hoping for the best

so you know I don't plan on putting peacocks w severums =) I have new world tank and other tank w peacocks/haps

Back
Top Bottom