holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackomen

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my cichlids is holding so I pulled her out and put her in a 10 gallon to see what she puts out. How long do you let them go before you strip them or is it better to let nature take its course? I'm not 100% sure of what she is either. She looks like an orange zebra but is a little more yellowish, but definitely doesn't look like a lab. Well, here's a shot of her holding.

attachment.php

She's kinda peeking around this sponge filter I built. The gravel is to help weigh it down.

Attachments

• yellowzebra.jpg
    yellowzebra.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 146
How do you tell that she's holding? Is there something specific that you look for to know? (sorry for the hijack).

i usually let mine just spit them out and they hid in and around the larger lava rocks in the tight corners where the larger fish cant get them.... my sister strips them (and i dont know how cuz shes afraid to put her hands in the tank, shes 26 lol)

Flipper - see how the bottom (chin area) jaw is all buffy? they buff out there when they are holding, im assuming to make room for the young.

It's really easy to tell, like said the bottom of her mouth will puff out and also when she opens her mouth a little you can see them inside. It's really pretty cool. When I moved her over i popped her mouth open and to my surprise they were already hatched and kinda swimming. I thought they were still eggs. She scooped them back up and I haven't seen her let them back out yet. Still waiting.

good luck with them! Ive seen one of my bumblebees holding twice with no success yet, she ate them after a few days... if only i could get as far as you have :(

This is the second time I found one of my cichlids holding. One of my orange zebras was holding about a month or two ago. I was checking on her everyday but left her in the main tank. Guess what, one day she was no longer holding and there was no fry. That's why I chose the 10 gal as a nursery to see what happens this time. Oh and my kenyi have been mating like crazy this past week. Might end up with fry everywhere. :eek:

My thoughts on the Kenyi are confirmed, she is tumbling to her delight.

The mom to be holding, couldn't get a clear shot of the eggs on her mouth, I'm not so good with the photography.
attachment.php

And a pic of the dad, now he's doing the mating dance with the other female kenyi, he's a total player and trying to be the alpha of the tank. My male socolofi is still holding strong in that position though. Oh, and by the way, this kenyi was totally blue when I bought him.
attachment.php

Attachments

• blueholding.JPG
    blueholding.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 156
  • dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 151
my male kenyi is the tank boss... his bars are not quite as dark as yours. looks like that female has quite a mouthfull! I think my male is ready to breed, but the females arent just yet as he shakes all the time but the females just ignore him lol

It looks like somewhere around 25 or so. Kinda hard to tell they move around a lot. The mom only lets them out a little bit at a time before she scoops them back up in her. mouth. I'm not sure when I should try to start feeding them.

Oh wow! Congrats, hopefully they each have 10 fingers and toes...wait...nevermind.

Now that I have the picture you posted of the mom holding, I'm checking mine out every day!

SOOO cute!!! Thanks for posting pics! Have you seen the pic on here of the momma holding her babies in her mouth, and you can actually see all their little eyes? Probably one of my favorite pics of all time. :D

Here's a pic of the the zebras, turns out there are 25 of them. That's a lot to me. None of them seem deformed or anything of that nature. Feeding them hikari baby floating pelets. They seem to be growing pretty good. I had a couple ghost shrimp in this tank when I put them in it. They killed one so I put the other in a tank with platies and a silver dollar and the silver dollar ate that shrimp. Now I'm just without shrimp. :(

attachment.php

Oh, the kenyi had a few and they were looking really nice, I still had her in the tank with them like I did with the zebra and she ate them ALL! Kinda disappointing on that front but happy with these guys anyways. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with them in the long run...

Attachments

• feb25.jpg
    feb25.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom