Mouthbrooding maylandia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidmum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi ? my maylandia lombordoi has been holding for more than 2 weeks now (not sure exactly). She has before and they got eaten in the main tank :(. This time (because I don't like the idea of stripping her) I moved her into a 10 gallon on her own, water parameters are perfect. She has been in there a week, she hides all the time and her black stripes have almost disappeared, is she okay? She is usually so active have I done the right thing isolating her?

Hi ? my maylandia lombordoi has been holding for more than 2 weeks now (not sure exactly). She has before and they got eaten in the main tank :(. This time (because I don't like the idea of stripping her) I moved her into a 10 gallon on her own, water parameters are perfect. She has been in there a week, she hides all the time and her black stripes have almost disappeared, is she okay? She is usually so active have I done the right thing isolating her?

Kennyi usually hold for about 3 weeks so this is probably her getting ready to spit her fry. HOWEVER, when you moved her, did she go into water similar to what she came out of? Are there enough rocks and hiding spots for her to feel secure? Is she over a sandy or light colored substrate? ( Light colored backgrounds can cause fish to lose darker patterns to help them blend in. )
At this point, if she didn't eat the eggs when you moved her, I'd give her 1 more week and if she doesn't spit the fry, I'd strip her to ensure that she doesn't starve or that if she doesn't feel secure, she never spits them or just eats them.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thank you for your reply, yes the water parameters are the same, it is crushed coral same as main tank which is white, the background is ligther than main tank so hopefully she is just blending, she does have a hiding place with a few rocks but in a 10 galon can't fit many in to give her options. I have an fx6 in the main tank filtration isn't as good in small tank but test water ever other day. I have been watching countless videos about stripping I am worried as I haven't done it before that I will hurt her :/ also I need them to be free swimming as I don't have a tumbler, I am thinking by now they must be? Thank you I may have to strip as she is acting scared.. would she have to spit them eventually or in fear would she rather eat them?

Fear can make her eat them to " protect " them. If there is a light on the tank, try turning it off and only observing her from a distance to help easy any fright.

Back
Top Bottom