How big do bumblebee chiclids get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstuff45

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi
I've had a bumblebee cichlid for about 8 months now and he doesn't seem to have grown as big as I thought he would. I read online that they get to be 8 inches and at the moment mine is only about 3.5 inches. He was about 1.5-2 inches when i got him. I got him at the same time I got my acei cichlids but the where only an inch and are now about 4 inches. are they just slow growers or do bumblebee cichlids not actually get to be 8 inches?

As far as African cichlids go, Bumblebees are one of the larger species. You see 8" as a maximum size that individuals can attain in a lot of literature. Petsmart says 6" is the max. It depends on who you read. Tank size, water quality, pecking order, and diet are going to be influential in determining the size of any fish. I assume you purchased the bumblebee 8 months ago as a juvenile, and if that is the case, he still has a lot of growing left.

Bees are a nice fish. I love their colors. They get 4-8 inches, depending on gender, tank size, tank mates, and diets.

1st is my male now 4.5 inches the 2nd is my female around 3.5 inches. Bought them a few months ago they were 2.5 then. The male grew quick and is very stocky. The females spots that used yellow on top are now white. My acei didn't grow nearly as fast as the bb's. mine are little pigs LOL mine are in a 55g tank. They eat 2 times a day. I'm sorry but mine are the biggest that I've seen so far, so I would like to know the answer myself.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121111_233937.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121111_233937.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 232
  • ForumRunner_20121111_234004.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121111_234004.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 214
I have a male bumble and he is 8" on the dot, it took him almost 3 years to get that large. He is in a 180 gal tank.

Andrew McFadden said:
It seems to me they slow way down wants they hit the 5" maturity marker. Mine are 6"

Well I'm glad for that. Then my other fish can catch up to his size. He is the bully of my tank. LOL maybe then he will stop eating all of my mating fish eggs before they hit the sand to be fertilized by the male. I will watch this thread for more info. Thanks

I'm in the same situation with my bumble bee... I bought him and 3 others when they were 1.5" and within 4-5 weeks he was way bigger then the others now my smaller cichlids are catching up with him... He's about 4" now

Attachments

• image-659977398.jpg
    image-659977398.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2213338645.jpg
    image-2213338645.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 118
What is the species of the pale blueish color cichlid on the first pic? I've seen them in the "assorted cichlid" tank, but never had any store employee be able to identify them.

Is this like the pale blue one you're talking about?

Attachments

• image-972279071.jpg
    image-972279071.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 99
bamadude91 said:
What is the species of the pale blueish color cichlid on the first pic? I've seen them in the "assorted cichlid" tank, but never had any store employee be able to identify them.

I think it's an Acei. Very nice cichlid. One of the calmest

I'm in the same situation with my bumble bee... I bought him and 3 others when they were 1.5" and within 4-5 weeks he was way bigger then the others now my smaller cichlids are catching up with him... He's about 4" now

I noticed you have your acei fish with your BB. Has yours started breeding with the BB in the tank? Mine BB eats the eggs of my yellow labs and my acei every time. Your fish are very nice looking.

They are in the medium size assorted... They are acei chiclids... Didn't realize it until after I bought 2 small acei and 2 assorted...

I actually have 4 acei and 1 bb.. So the bb is a little upset bc he is no longer my largest... But I'm going get 1 more bb for him to pair up with..

Back
Top Bottom