How do I sex oscars??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tex777

Aquarium Advice Regular
I keep researching on this topic and find different information each time. I was wondering if any of you guys and girls could tell me how to properly sex an Oscar and at what size can it be done.

Thanks

I've read in many places that you can sometimes tell by coloring and shape of fins (dorsal and anal) (a female will be more rounded, male more pointed and more likely to have spots on anal fin)

there is many an arguement based on this topic.
males:
-should be more agressive and pretty much cannot stand another male in the tank
- should have a larger anal fin than dorsal
- should be more streamlined than the female
- will have a thorn-like thing hanging out from the vent when breeding.
females:
- should be less agressive and can normally live happily with another female, may even lay eggs without a male there. will (in most cases) be the victim of a male on female to the death fight.
- should have a larger dorsal fin than anal
- should be rounder in the belly
- should have a soft bulge where the vent is constantly
- will have a volcano shaped egg tube hanging out from the vent during spawning

unfortunately, other than the thorn and the egg tube, this can all be useless info as they are extremely hard to tell apart.
my larger oscar has the soft bulge, follows the smaller like a puppy and has a larger dorsal.
the smaller has a very flat vent area, larger anal fin and is very brave, likes to lead her around and explore.
the larger has been known to feed one of the 4 RZ juvies i put in there as feeders, which is sorta maternal in a species confused way lol.
the smaller has a LOT of issues with my brothers, will refuse the food they offer and tries to attack them. but me (im female - pretty sure anyway ;P) they are fine with.

there is just no way to define it - its luck and chance unless you buy a proven breeding pair.

do u have oscars? what tank? i hope this has helped a bit :) xx

Thank you, it did clear out the confusion quite a bit...

I currently own a 12 or 13 inch tiger Oscar and from what you are saying I believe it actually might be female, but like you said, that isn't always right . Assuming she is a female, I have her in a 125 gallon tank . I've had her for a little bit over ten years, and she eats like a pig!!!

lol! and this is brilliant - an oscar in the right tank lol! what is it in with?

what makes u think it is female? can we have a pic? x

Thanks!!!
What makes me think it is a female is that the dorsal fin is longer than the anal gin.

:( Sadly, I cannot add any picture any time soon because my camera broke last night while trying to take a picture for you guys lol! While I was trying to take the pic, my boxer jumped up and hit the camera with his paw!! Which led it to fall to the ground and crumble into a million little pieces!

Back
Top Bottom