How do you do feeding time with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just curious how you all handle feeding time. How long does your feeding last? Regarding your equipment, do you shut down powerheads and turn down filters or do you just leave everything on and toss in the food ?

For me they all swim to the same corner since I've had them. I watch from above and throw in whatever I'm feeding that day. I switch from different foods. Like someone once told me here how would you feel of you has pizza everyday.

Anyway... I just throw the food in an watch how much there eating and make sure everyone is eating. A sign of healthy fish is there always gonna look hungry. If some are away from the huddle I'll throw in some food on the opposite side. Then I'll throw a few sinking pellets for the bottom dwellers. And it's a done deal. Since the heat wave and temps are higher thus making my tank temp a little higher I feed less and 2x's a day. The higher temps means there more active and tend to be more aggressive.

Hope this helps and have a safe and happy 4th!

I feed omega one cichlid pellets and tetra veggie spirulina flakes every night and make sure everyone gets some, my syno will even eat off the top with the mbuna! :)

The Powerhead is my best friend during feeding. I drop the food near and it gets so well dispersed that everyone gets to eat.

Turning off the filters depends on the tank and strength of the intake. I do for my 65 with a very strong wet/dry system, but I don't for my 180 gallon with the fluval fx5.

5x5 said:
The Powerhead is my best friend during feeding. I drop the food near and it gets so well dispersed that everyone gets to eat.

Turning off the filters depends on the tank and strength of the intake. I do for my 65 with a very strong wet/dry system, but I don't for my 180 gallon with the fluval fx5.

That's a good idea. Rarely do my fish let the pellets sink below the waters surface though hah.

In my 50 & 56 food just gets dropped in from 5x a day to 3 times a week. Their is little reason to it, pretty much whenever someone feeds them. (5x a day hardly happens) the baby tank gets fed almost always 2 day.) I let the fliter pull the food down as with 15 fish they don't always go to the top still. They all get brine shrimp, chicken, and omega one cichlid food (pellet and or flake depending on size) as well as omega one super veggie and red/green/romain lettuce, shredded carrot, banana, crickets, earthworms, whatever I feel like. Sometimes im tempted to give them cookies. :)

Well basically, I walk up to the tank.

Just kidding. But really, if I do so much as get up from my sofa or walk even remotely close to the tank, there they are. "Is it time? Can we have a bite?" Some days they get Omega One, some days spiralina, some days pellets. Some days peas, they really like veggies so I enjoy feeding them stuff from the fridge. Just whatever I feel like! Its tempting to overfeed when they crowd like that, I occasionally give in.
It gets kind of annoying how they crowd sometimes, because I want to see them do what they do. Dig, chase, whatever. But, I can't even glance at them without a crowd at the front of the tank watching my every move.

With my mbuna's and tropheus' I introduce the food via my HOB filter outflow's (the food is further broadcasted by powerheads) then turn off the filters until all the food is gone.

For my frontosa's I turn off the filtration and then add their pellets. Filters off=feeding time so they start getting worked up as soon as the filters stop (because they know the food is coming next).

My frontosa's are very skittish at feeding time for some reason. So I don't turn on the filters of any of my other tanks until the front's are done eating.

Back
Top Bottom