How do you sex a jewel cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbacichlids

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got 2 jewels. They seem to hang out together? I wanted to know if any1 can sex them.
I think this one is a male ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393947160.694358.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393946948.768820.jpg
The third pic of one of my jewels I believe is a female
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393947021.496662.jpg

Any help is appreciated. My dad had 2 jewels also for about a year and a half before giving away they always hung out together never mated. Can't really fine any info on Internet so please any info will be appreciated

Id also like to know how to sex them i have 2 also hang out all the time but never mated

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've read it's in the tail but they say very colorful females can be mistaken for males so idk

Best way is by venting them, however this article gives some differences between males and females, since you see them in person, it'll be easier for you to judge according to this comparison: Hemichromis guttatus

Venting is always the best way to go though :p

Put about 1tsp of aquarium salt per about 10g and they will get busy mating.

Thanks sorry for late reply never got the email saying u replied thanks tho and they are the only 4 in the tank so I'd have to just watch the other 2.

Best way is by venting them, however this article gives some differences between males and females, since you see them in person, it'll be easier for you to judge according to this comparison: Hemichromis guttatus

Venting is always the best way to go though :p

Sorry about not answering usually sends me an email never did

Back
Top Bottom