Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How manny cichlids?🐠

Hi all,how many African cichlid(Mbuna) should I keep in a 40breeder.My tank has a fluval 306 canister filter.My tank is a corner aquarium and it has a 2ft by 2ft 90ēdegree corner and has a 3ft bend.
Hope you can can back to me!🐟

Old 12-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO no more than around 10. If more passive species like labs maybe 12 but I certainly wouldn't exceed that, its already at the high end of the spectrum. Personally I would do two groups of 4 of a species for a total of 8 fish, but I doubt 8 is the answer you want to hear.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi thanks for your reply
I think I might put around ten in There considering I would be getting

Clown and yellow lab

Hongi

Demasini

Red zebra

Snowflake

Green afra

And a few more

Sent from Kyle in uk
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Those are some agressive guys that you picked and your tank doesn't have a lot of bottom area. I had some in a 40b but I had more surface area 18x36=648. If you are (24x24)/2=288 there is not really enough bottom area for those fish because they claim a little bit for them selves. You really need more bottom area. You could do 1 or 2 types of mbuna 2 is pushing it but them you could add some peacocks. So you could have like a hongi 1m and a few f and do like 4 different kinds of peacocks I would aim for only male peacocks because the females are drab

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

But to add to that if you get 1 male hongi and 3 females I would go with 6 different peacocks that's what I would do in that tank if you mix mbunas ur going to be asking for trouble because there isn't enough space to claim. The only other mbuna you could add is like an acai because they are more free swimming mine don't really claim and guard like my hongi or afra

Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would agree with the acei suggestion based on temper but they get large, up to 7 inches. But I would not mix peacocks and mbuna in this tank, for 1 it won't end well aggression wise for the peacocks with this little space and more importantly peacocks are heavy swimmers who reach over 5 inches, some up to 7. Its simply not enough room.

OP: IMO mixing 7 or 8 different species of aggressive mbuna in this tank will be a blood bath. Strike the demasoni from the list immediately and try to find two to three groups of fish.

A good possible stocking could be:
4 yellow labs
3 rusty cichlids
3 red top zebras, ime they are pretty docile for the zebra family.
That would give you 10 fish that shouldn't shred each other.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is this for the 40b or the corner tank?

Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
I would agree with the acei suggestion based on temper but they get large, up to 7 inches. But I would not mix peacocks and mbuna in this tank, for 1 it won't end well aggression wise for the peacocks with this little space and more importantly peacocks are heavy swimmers who reach over 5 inches, some up to 7. Its simply not enough room.

OP: IMO mixing 7 or 8 different species of aggressive mbuna in this tank will be a blood bath. Strike the demasoni from the list immediately and try to find two to three groups of fish.

A good possible stocking could be:
4 yellow labs
3 rusty cichlids
3 red top zebras, ime they are pretty docile for the zebra family.
That would give you 10 fish that shouldn't shred each other.
I have been mixing mbuna and peacocks for a while now they are fine you just have to do it right. If it's 40b this stock list would be ok but a corner tank was also mentioned in the op. When I started I kept 2 different mbuna yellow labs and yellow top afra and a peacock (rubin) it gave me a nice mix of colors yellow blue black and red

Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdrichj View Post
I have been mixing mbuna and peacocks for a while now they are fine you just have to do it right. If it's 40b this stock list would be ok but a corner tank was also mentioned in the op. When I started I kept 2 different mbuna yellow labs and yellow top afra and a peacock (rubin) it gave me a nice mix of colors yellow blue black and red

I almost forgot a calvus too and the tank got along well because they are all different colors and body shapes

Old 12-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdrichj View Post

Its a yes and no type thing. As a general rule you do not mix them.. now there are exceptions to this rule. Yellow labs, acei, a few more. The Nonos are all the kenyi, auratus, demasoni, most zebras etc.. it will work for a while but a dominate male auratus or other aggressive mbuna will slaughter a whole group of peacocks. A few of the fish mentioned in the OP will not work with peacocks.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com