How manny cichlids??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k.yle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,how many African cichlid(Mbuna) should I keep in a 40breeder.My tank has a fluval 306 canister filter.My tank is a corner aquarium and it has a 2ft by 2ft 90•degree corner and has a 3ft bend.
Hope you can can back to me!?

IMO no more than around 10. If more passive species like labs maybe 12 but I certainly wouldn't exceed that, its already at the high end of the spectrum. Personally I would do two groups of 4 of a species for a total of 8 fish, but I doubt 8 is the answer you want to hear.

Hi thanks for your reply
I think I might put around ten in There considering I would be getting

Clown and yellow lab

Hongi

Demasini

Red zebra

Snowflake

Green afra

And a few more

Sent from Kyle in uk

Those are some agressive guys that you picked and your tank doesn't have a lot of bottom area. I had some in a 40b but I had more surface area 18x36=648. If you are (24x24)/2=288 there is not really enough bottom area for those fish because they claim a little bit for them selves. You really need more bottom area. You could do 1 or 2 types of mbuna 2 is pushing it but them you could add some peacocks. So you could have like a hongi 1m and a few f and do like 4 different kinds of peacocks I would aim for only male peacocks because the females are drab

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But to add to that if you get 1 male hongi and 3 females I would go with 6 different peacocks that's what I would do in that tank if you mix mbunas ur going to be asking for trouble because there isn't enough space to claim. The only other mbuna you could add is like an acai because they are more free swimming mine don't really claim and guard like my hongi or afra

I would agree with the acei suggestion based on temper but they get large, up to 7 inches. But I would not mix peacocks and mbuna in this tank, for 1 it won't end well aggression wise for the peacocks with this little space and more importantly peacocks are heavy swimmers who reach over 5 inches, some up to 7. Its simply not enough room.

OP: IMO mixing 7 or 8 different species of aggressive mbuna in this tank will be a blood bath. Strike the demasoni from the list immediately and try to find two to three groups of fish.

A good possible stocking could be:
4 yellow labs
3 rusty cichlids
3 red top zebras, ime they are pretty docile for the zebra family.
That would give you 10 fish that shouldn't shred each other.

Is this for the 40b or the corner tank?

I would agree with the acei suggestion based on temper but they get large, up to 7 inches. But I would not mix peacocks and mbuna in this tank, for 1 it won't end well aggression wise for the peacocks with this little space and more importantly peacocks are heavy swimmers who reach over 5 inches, some up to 7. Its simply not enough room.

OP: IMO mixing 7 or 8 different species of aggressive mbuna in this tank will be a blood bath. Strike the demasoni from the list immediately and try to find two to three groups of fish.

A good possible stocking could be:
4 yellow labs
3 rusty cichlids
3 red top zebras, ime they are pretty docile for the zebra family.
That would give you 10 fish that shouldn't shred each other.

I have been mixing mbuna and peacocks for a while now they are fine you just have to do it right. If it's 40b this stock list would be ok but a corner tank was also mentioned in the op. When I started I kept 2 different mbuna yellow labs and yellow top afra and a peacock (rubin) it gave me a nice mix of colors yellow blue black and red

I have been mixing mbuna and peacocks for a while now they are fine you just have to do it right. If it's 40b this stock list would be ok but a corner tank was also mentioned in the op. When I started I kept 2 different mbuna yellow labs and yellow top afra and a peacock (rubin) it gave me a nice mix of colors yellow blue black and red

I almost forgot a calvus too and the tank got along well because they are all different colors and body shapes

Its a yes and no type thing. As a general rule you do not mix them.. now there are exceptions to this rule. Yellow labs, acei, a few more. The Nonos are all the kenyi, auratus, demasoni, most zebras etc.. it will work for a while but a dominate male auratus or other aggressive mbuna will slaughter a whole group of peacocks. A few of the fish mentioned in the OP will not work with peacocks.

Its a yes and no type thing. As a general rule you do not mix them.. now there are exceptions to this rule. Yellow labs, acei, a few more. The Nonos are all the kenyi, auratus, demasoni, most zebras etc.. it will work for a while but a dominate male auratus or other aggressive mbuna will slaughter a whole group of peacocks. A few of the fish mentioned in the OP will not work with peacocks.

In a 40 gallon you shouldnt have peacocks in general. But the more peaceful mbuna can coexist most times (y)

Yeah that's why I listed a few that will coexist. I know this from experience, I have a 60 gallon with a few peacocks, 4 labs and 5 acei, the point is you can't generalize that peacocks and mbuna can be kept together.

Yeah that's why I listed a few that will coexist. I know this from experience, I have a 60 gallon with a few peacocks, 4 labs and 5 acei, the point is you can't generalize that peacocks and mbuna can be kept together.

+1 true

I had 4 labs 1m 3f 3 yellow top afra 1m 2f 1 rubinsence 1 calvus an a bn pelc in my 40b with no issues about 2 years after I started it I moved to a 75 and added 3 hongi 1 ob peacock and a red empress I am currently searching for a lwanda and lemon jake to complete my stock list

Thanks for all your discussion,I noticed that someone was saying mix some Mbuna with a group of peacocks and some others wer saying not to.I am not putting in any peacocks as they will grow to large so I am probably going to chose my stock list again and not put some like demasini and Hongi with labs and others.i don't want to many of the same fish to

Sent from Kyle in uk

Both excellent decisions. Personally I would never take advice mixing mbuna with peacocks except for the absolute most docile species. Even then, my male yellow lab is a bully, so even those species can give you problems, depends on the individual fish.

So any ideas on potential species?

I was thinking maby
Yellow lab
Red zebra
Colbolt blue
SnowFlake
Rusty
Exasperatus
White tale acei
?Red top Hongi?
Ps longior

Sent from Kyle in uk

Ive had bad experiences with every red zebra I've ever owned, relentlessly aggressive fish. On the other hand I currently have a red top zebra (Metriaclima greshakei) that is pretty chill, he is with yellow labs and acei. Prettier than a red zebra IMO.

I have no experience with the exasperatus, that acei reaches 7 inches as well, I can't safely say how he would do, I haven't seen a 40 corner tank but he is a lot of fish. They grow intermediately quickly. Awesome that you're doing you're research and doing it right. Hope to see pics when you get there.

My hongi is the most agressive fish in my tank he is pretty mean and but he doesn't really bother my peacocks or haps just the other mbuna

Ok thanks BTW what rocks do you have in Mbuna setups

Sent from Kyle in uk

Back
Top Bottom