How many is to many

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nolaboi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok you great people I have a question. I have two oscars, 2 jacks, 2 terrors, 2 convicts, and 2 peacocks in a 120gal I asked my local pet store and they said that's not to many fish. But we know that they are into sailing fish. Please tell me if that's to many

Ok you great people I have a question. I have two oscars, 2 jacks, 2 terrors, 2 convicts, and 2 peacocks in a 120gal I asked my local pet store and they said that's not to many fish. But we know that they are into sailing fish. Please tell me if that's to many
Blue Prints of the tank?

What's your filtration? How big are the fish? Is this their permanent home?

Blue Prints of the tank?

The FOOTPRINT of a 120 gallon is 48x24x24, if the tank is a 6' tank than its a 125 gallon 72x18x20 not a 120. Those are both standard aquarium sizes and a quick google search would tell you the dimensions.

That being said it doesn't matter what the dimensions of the tank are, that is way to much fish for that tank. They may be may ok for about a year if they are juveniles but that shouldn't be a long term home for those fish, you'll end up with territory and water quality issues.

Indeed, with the convicts and oscars and green terrors are very aggressive fish.

Compared to allot of the other Central and South American cichlids out there the above species are pretty mild mannered.

In my opinion you are way overstocked when those fish mature. Oscars create a huge bioload and can be some of the dirtiest fish. I would cut that stock to one each and add a nice pleco and nice school of silver dollars as dithers. Others may disagree.

Yes it's their permanent home and they are all babies

Too many for that tank. They maybe good for a few months but as they get bigger the aggression and the huge bioload on your filtration could make it hard on your fish to live happy and healthy.

The FOOTPRINT of a 120 gallon is 48x24x24, if the tank is a 6' tank than its a 125 gallon 72x18x20 not a 120. Those are both standard aquarium sizes and a quick google search would tell you the dimensions.

That being said it doesn't matter what the dimensions of the tank are, that is way to much fish for that tank. They may be may ok for about a year if they are juveniles but that shouldn't be a long term home for those fish, you'll end up with territory and water quality issues.

Compared to allot of the other Central and South American cichlids out there the above species are pretty mild mannered.

After doing some leg work and pulling out my tape it's a 125gal and I guess I will be getting a bigger tank soon something like a250 or a 300

Back
Top Bottom