How many guppies can I put in a 6.5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many guppies can I put in a 6.5 gallon? I have one betta per tank and a few like 3 guppies in the tank. These fish are super tiny. I need a Magnifying glass to see the fish, that is how small the Pygm cory are. Do they get bigger?
Or do they stay super tiny? :cool:(y)

How many guppies can I put in a 6.5 gallon? I have one betta per tank and a few like 3 guppies in the tank. These fish are super tiny. I need a Magnifying glass to see the fish, that is how small the Pygm cory are. Do they get bigger?
Or do they stay super tiny? :cool:(y)

You shouldn't mix Guppies and Bettas together because the colorfulness of the Guppies often makes the Betta think it's another betta so he attacks it.
My suggestion of adding Guppies was only if you didn't have the Betta and the number was 3-5 males only.
Pigmy Cories get between 3/4" - 1 " depending on the gender. The females are the larger ones.

What fish can I put with betta that will fit in my6.5 gallon

You shouldn't mix Guppies and Bettas together because the colorfulness of the Guppies often makes the Betta think it's another betta so he attacks it.
My suggestion of adding Guppies was only if you didn't have the Betta and the number was 3-5 males only.
Pigmy Cories get between 3/4" - 1 " depending on the gender. The females are the larger ones.

What fish can I put with betta that will fit in my 6.5 gallon:fish1::whistle: That I can see, because the pygm Cory, I cant see well. I still cant see the last pygm that I thought I had, in the tank, still could not see, if the fish was in the tank.

What fish can I put with betta that will fit in my 6.5 gallon:fish1::whistle: That I can see, because the pygm Cory, I cant see well. I still cant see the last pygm that I thought I had, in the tank, still could not see, if the fish was in the tank.
I would not put much in the tank in the way of fish. Bettas have a territory. If you were going to mix a lot of fish, the Betta should have been the last fish to go into the tank, not the first. :whistle:
Once the cories get used to their new surroundings, they should be out more. Especially when it comes to feeding times. Fish aren't like dogs or cats, they need time to adjust to a new situation. Hiding is protection. The more protection you offer them, the more secure they feel. The more secure they feel, the more they will be out in the open. (y)

Can I add 5 neon tetra with bettas fish in a 6, 5 gallon tank?

Can I add 5 Black Neon Tetras with betta fish in a 6, 5 gallon tank? :angel::cool:

Only if they are large - xtra large ones. If your Betta was willing to go after the Cories, small Neons will definitely get eaten (and swallowed) .

The fish are Max Size: 2"-3" is that large for a fish?

The fish are Max Size: 2"-3" is that large for a fish?

The first time I read your post I thought I saw " neon Tetras" but now I see "Black Neon Tetras" so my answer was geared for the Neons. If you add them , they still need to be larger than the Bettas Mouth because if they are close to edible, the Betta will try to eat them. Since you are buying fish sight unseen, you have to be prepared to seclude the Betta if you get smaller fish until your fish grow to a size they can't get eaten.
Personally, the tank is a small tank and filling it up with fish that can grow to over an inch is really pushing it. Since you put the Bettas in first, you really limited yourself to what else you can put in the tank. That or get some larger tanks and leave the Bettas alone in the 6.5s. :whistle:

So my beta can eat a fish that is Max Size: 2"-3"

So my beta can eat a fish that is Max Size: 2"-3" the fish I have in there now is prob .5" - .75 and it seems ok. The betta likes to chase them. But he has not ate them yet. Betta is around 3 inches and the black neon is 2 to 3 inches. So you saying that black neon can be eatin?

So my beta can eat a fish that is Max Size: 2"-3" the fish I have in there now is prob .5" - .75 and it seems ok. The betta likes to chase them. But he has not ate them yet. Betta is around 3 inches and the black neon is 2 to 3 inches. So you saying that black tetra can be eatin?
I'm saying that you are crowding the tank by adding fish that are or can grow to 2"-3" along with the betta and most often, Tetras like Neons and Black Neons are offered at around 1/2" or smaller which is small enough for the Betta to eat or try to eat them. Catfish have spines that contain a venom so if the Betta actually got one in it's mouth, it would get a sting that would cause it to spit the cory out while if a Neon got into it's mouth, it would get swallowed.

Small tanks ( under 10 gallons) have a very limited number of fish that will do well in them and of that limited number of fish, very few are safe to keep with a Betta. Your issue is with having the Bettas. Without the Bettas, you would be safe to explore some of the other species that will do well in that small of a tank. With the Bettas, you are extremely limited and when I say extremely, I mean EXTREMELY limited as to what else, fish, shrimp, crab, frog, snail, etc that can go in the tank(s).

I'd keep the 40 for your multi specie tank and leave the Bettas alone with their catfish. :whistle:

ok will do.

I'm saying that you are crowding the tank by adding fish that are or can grow to 2"-3" along with the betta and most often, Tetras like Neons and Black Neons are offered at around 1/2" or smaller which is small enough for the Betta to eat or try to eat them. Catfish have spines that contain a venom so if the Betta actually got one in it's mouth, it would get a sting that would cause it to spit the cory out while if a Neon got into it's mouth, it would get swallowed.

Small tanks ( under 10 gallons) have a very limited number of fish that will do well in them and of that limited number of fish, very few are safe to keep with a Betta. Your issue is with having the Bettas. Without the Bettas, you would be safe to explore some of the other species that will do well in that small of a tank. With the Bettas, you are extremely limited and when I say extremely, I mean EXTREMELY limited as to what else, fish, shrimp, crab, frog, snail, etc that can go in the tank(s).

I'd keep the 40 for your multi specie tank and leave the Bettas alone with their catfish. :whistle:

Will do. I will just add the Black Neon Tetras in my 40 gallon. I will leave the betta alone. He might try to attack me. :lol: That is very help info about Catfish. You seem to know a lot about fish, thanks for your help. :cool:

Will do. I will just add the Black Neon Tetras in my 40 gallon. I will leave the betta alone. He might try to attack me. :lol: That is very help info about Catfish. You seem to know a lot about fish, thanks for your help. :cool:
I guess you haven't read my bio here. ;) :brows: I've been keeping fish since was 7 years old. That means for coming up on 59 years. I'd been in the tropical fish business for over 45 years where I needed to know about every fish I sold to stores and wholesalers as well as hobbyists. I commercially bred pretty much every fish you commonly find in a fish store. So without patting myself on the back, Yeah, I know a couple things about fish. ;) ;) :D Hopefully my knowledge helps other people have the same great experience I have had keeping fish. (y)

I guess you haven't read my bio here. ;) :brows: I've been keeping fish since was 7 years old. That means for coming up on 59 years. I'd been in the tropical fish business for over 45 years where I needed to know about every fish I sold to stores and wholesalers as well as hobbyists. I commercially bred pretty much every fish you commonly find in a fish store. So without patting myself on the back, Yeah, I know a couple things about fish. ;) ;) :D Hopefully my knowledge helps other people have the same great experience I have had keeping fish. (y)

I am a newbie, so I need a lot of help. I did have another question. I know a couple people that used to have fish. They say I am doing too many water changes, so if my ammonia goes up, they told me that is ok, they think all the water changes is stressing the fish out. K I got that part, but what i do not get is if there is ammonia I should do a small water change. However i do not want to stress my fish out. They told me that is why bettas died cause of all the water changes I do. Like on my ammonia card is shows alert to ammonia.
Should I do a water change, or wait, until the ammonia goes up?

I am a newbie, so I need a lot of help. I did have another question. I know a couple people that used to have fish. They say I am doing too many water changes, so if my ammonia goes up, they told me that is ok, they think all the water changes is stressing the fish out. K I got that part, but what i do not get is if there is ammonia I should do a small water change. However i do not want to stress my fish out. They told me that is why bettas died cause of all the water changes I do. Like on my ammonia card is shows alert to ammonia.
Should I do a water change, or wait, until the ammonia goes up?
Sorry but your water change advice was very wrong. Maybe that's why they USED to have fish? :whistle: How can having clean water all the time be a bad thing? In my hatchery, the fish were getting water changes daily. It helped them grow better. It's not always necessary to do daily. ( More on this later)

For good fish husbandry, what you want, as I've said before, is to develop a routine where you routinely change water to freshen the tank environment as well as dilute any organics that may be accumulating. Here's the thing, your fish create ammonia by breathing and by pooping. You can't avoid that unless you keep those plastic fish in the tank. ;) :lol: A fish tank becomes a living breathing ecosystem where things grow to use the things that are present. Consider this: If you just used rain water in your tank, once you cycle a tank, you have created ( or installed) a filter ( biological filter) that will convert the ammonia that your fish produce eventually into a harmless chemical called nitrates. Unfortunately, we don't always have access to rain water so we resort to tap water or store bought water. ( Now for the chemistry lesson ;) ) Unfortunately, our tap water now has all kinds of chemicals in it that are not safe for the fish. It used to be Chlorine which would dissipate if you just left the water sit over night. Now however, it's a chlorine ammonia combination that doesn't dissipate at all. That's fine for humans but is bad for fish. Why is it bad for the fish? Because both ammonia and chlorine, at the levels used, kill fish. :( Because ammonia does not dissipate like chlorine, when you break the chlorine ammonia bond, the chlorine dissipates (or gets chemically changed) and the ammonia stays behind. That's bad for the fish if more ammonia is present than the microbes in your biological filter can consume before the ammonia effects the fish. ( Did I lose you yet? :blink: )
Now here's the issue with the biological filter: It's not a constant. It's a variable. :facepalm: It grows and shrinks based on the ammonia level present in the tank at the time. So if you have a bunch of fish in a tank, you've created an amount of microbes that can consume the ammonia that is presently being produced. If you only have 1 fish in a tank, you only have enough microbes to handle the ammonia produced by that one fish. If you took out some of the fish from the tank with a bunch of fish in it, the amount of microbes would diminish due to lack of food( a.k.a. ammonia). If you added a whole bunch of fish to the tank that just had the 1 fish in it, it would take some time for the amount of microbes to grow to handle the added amount of ammonia now being produced. The problem with that is that the ammonia can be at a level that is toxic enough to kill the fish before that happens. :eek: Like I said, the biological filter is a living breathing thing that constantly is growing or shrinking. So you never want to overload the biological filter by adding too many fish at one time while you can remove fish without seeing any negative effects on the biological filter. Now here's the catch: Say a month down the road you want to add back the same number of fish you took out of that tank with all the fish only to have your ammonia rise to a toxic level and the fish start dying. You think, " I don't understand, the tank held the same amount of fish before :confused: " The problem is that you don't have the same amount of microbes as you had before. THAT is why it didn't work. You will have them again in time but not immediately. So because you are a newbie, :flowers: I'll leave this part there.

There is more to keeping a fish tank healthy than just ammonia and nitrates. If I listed all the things, you would probably be looking like :huh::blink::confused: Truth is, it's a chemistry class to keep a tank healthy because there are factors, some out of your control, that change things from harmful to harmless or situations that make things worse or better. You have to know what's what in order to make corrections or adjustments. Yes, you need to be aware of the ammonia level in your aquarium because that is the first thing that can kill your fish but some of our little test kits in the hobby do not take other things into consideration that may change the intensity of the "problem". For example, they do not differentiate between harmful ammonia and harmless ammonium. ( The water's Ph controls which you have.) Some do not differentiate between harmful nitrites from almost harmless nitrates. That's something you need to know. ( I see your eyes glazing over :blink: )

To get back to it's not necessary to change water daily: When you have a healthy biological filter, you feed the fish properly, you don't overcrowd the tank with life, etc., the ecological system is balanced so the need to change water all the time is not there because the water is clean and healthy. But it's not healthy forever as the fish will absorb the minerals and vitamins out of the water, that you don't see, but are replaced when you change water. This is partly why routinely changing water is good thing not a bad thing. As for how much water to change, that's conditional. Under this condition, you need to change this amount and under that condition, you need to change that amount of water. In a tank full of fish, you should change a larger amount of water than you would in a tank with only 1 or 2 fish in a decent amount of water. ( That was for anyone thinking "But what about if the fish is in a 1/2 gallon tank? ";) )
So that's it for now. I made it as simple as possible. Get into a routine. Class dismissed. (y)

The most excellent advice!!!

Pygmy Cories are very small and could potentially be eaten by the Betta since they stay small. Mine swim all around in the tank not only keep to the bottom (they are in a nano fish tank/ no Betta).

So if you notice they are getting harassed / chased, they could be bitten and eaten, or just torn in chunks by the betta. It is how they feed themselves, so not their fault they do what comes naturally. I would move the Pygmy Cories if their seems to be any danger.

As the Betta matures to a breeding age they tend to show more aggression. Many people have mentioned that their Betta was a curious but nice not biting fish to their tank companions, and one morning wake up to torn up tank mates. Myself included in that sad lesson.

It sounds like you may have a young Betta. How long have you had it?

The most excellent advice!!!

Pygmy Cories are very small and could potentially be eaten by the Betta since they stay small. Mine swim all around in the tank not only keep to the bottom (they are in a nano fish tank/ no Betta).

So if you notice they are getting harassed / chased, they could be bitten and eaten, or just torn in chunks by the betta. It is how they feed themselves, so not their fault they do what comes naturally. I would move the Pygmy Cories if their seems to be any danger.

As the Betta matures to a breeding age they tend to show more aggression. Many people have mentioned that their Betta was a curious but nice not biting fish to their tank companions, and one morning wake up to torn up tank mates. Myself included in that sad lesson.

It sounds like you may have a young Betta. How long have you had it?

I was told on this message board to buy Pygmy Cories. I never heard of them before. My betta does chase the Pygmy Cories, has not eating the other fish.
If betta eats them, than I wont buy again. I do not have any tank to put the Pygmy Cories in. I am not sure how old betta is. I bought online, he looks full grown, but I do not know the age. (y):whistle:

Thank you for all your help. I will get into a routine with my fish. I will also do a routine for WC as well. I will do water change once a week with my fish. And with my bigger 40 tank every two weeks. I have to do a WC today it's been two weeks for my 40 gallon. :thanks:(y)

Light or no light to read test results

I have an ammonia card in my tank. My question is when I turn the the light on it looks yellow were it is supposed to be. if I turn the light off it is not yellow. So what should I go by light, or no light. the tank light is what I am using to read the ammonia card.

I have an ammonia card in my tank. My question is when I turn the the light on it looks yellow were it is supposed to be. if I turn the light off it is not yellow. So what should I go by light, or no light. the tank light is what I am using to read the ammonia card.

Read in the light. Have you ever noticed that even your hand looks different in the dark? :whistle: ;) Everything looks different in the dark. :yin:

Back
Top Bottom