How to set up a fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidbreeder321

Aquarium Advice Regular
My two covicts just had there first batch of fry and right now there in my main tank with my other fish and the parents r being very protective and was wondering how and what i need to set up a fry tank

I use a 10g with a sponge filter, no substrate. Makes it easier to maintain perfect water conditions. I do daily water changes and feed 3 times a day. Not convicts, but same principal for almost any fry IMO

I use a 10g with a sponge filter, no substrate. Makes it easier to maintain perfect water conditions. I do daily water changes and feed 3 times a day. Not convicts, but same principal for almost any fry IMO

I agree with everything MFD stated. What are your plans for the fry? Convicts are the most common cichlid around.

Last edited:
Sadly, convicts are so prolific and common, they have little value, and many people raise them for feeders.
As far as fry tank goes, the above advice is spot on, except the biggest available tank is always best, once they get a little bigger.

Probably a dumb question, but why no substrate? I just got my 10 gal ready (with Substrate) and instead of sponge filter I used a little substrate mesh bag with tie and tied it around the intake prong of the HOB filter.

Probably a dumb question, but why no substrate? I just got my 10 gal ready (with Substrate) and instead of sponge filter I used a little substrate mesh bag with tie and tied it around the intake prong of the HOB filter.

It's just easier to keep clean, I prefer substrate in my QT tanks since I think it eases the fish.

Ill try to post a pic soon, ive got a momma moved over in the 10 gallon thats holding big time and when I prepped it, I put a agronate stuff in.

35049-albums1659-picture12706.jpg

i just purchased crushed coral sand for my fry tank, i thought it might help keep the same water conditions that i have in the main tank which also uses CC sand, making transferring fish to/from either tank simpler. (same temp, ph + conditions)

ya Oblivion, that was my thought too, with the same PH and approx temp it should be a little less stressful.
So how long do Peackocks hold ???

my understanding is it varies, but on average approx 20 days give or take

edit: whoops, that'll teach me not to post before checking the next page.
hukit already gave you the answer :)

Thanks to both of you. The pic I posted is the momma the ONLY one that is holding in my tank. I keep checking her every day to see if her mouth is void and every day she is working her mouth , jostling the eggs over and over. Yesterday im doing my PWC and in the big tank (the 55g, the momma is in a 10g QT tank) I notice a fry. a SINGLE fry, so now Im back to ... I dont know what the heck is going on. It looks too old to have come from her. I dunno

i like to put the very young fry in a breeders net for a week or two, so i can feed them easier and keep an eye on them until theyre a bit stronger and healthier

Sometimes new moms end up eating theyr fry coz of starvation. Try putting sum food in to try and make her spit. It takes a few goes but she will get there. Iv had tropheus species all my life and have bread them alot. It always works for me. Good luck. T. Ps get plenty of rock work in one corner for them to hide, away from filter intake.

So Im thinking im not so good at watching. The single fry must have been one that escaped her mouth. im putting her back into the main tank. I just noticed one of my other Peacocks holding. I dont have another B tank and the fry from the other one is in my 10 gal. wow I was worried about proper conditions and now im gonna have too many fry.

Lol it happens. Just get some tank dividers it's a piece of plastic and can b cut to size. Once the peacock has release u can mix them once the egg sack have gone. but like I said the key is to have rock work with holes so the weak ones can hide. Good luck. T

Nice fry they look really healthy pal. How many is there it seems alot

Back
Top Bottom