How to tell if Cichlids are hungry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady_Alia said:
I gotta agree, 2-3 days seems extreme to me as well. I feed 2x daily and my water is great and my fish are happy and breeding like crazy!

But after all these posts I guess you gotta feed on the schedule that works for you and your tank.

There's one thing we all agree upon, DON'T OVER FEED!!

Totally agree that they will over eat if you over feed.
My tank is mixed and some of my fish are very good feeders( eating at the surface, middle, and floor of the tank)....while others only eat at a particular level, causing some of my fish not to eat as much as others. My eldest Auratis is a vacuum and my Tangs don't eat fast at all. 2 minutes works for my tank. I guess I'm saying that its important to know your fishes eating habit and figure out a set amount that works for you.

You have to remember that fish in the wild don't have somebody handing them pellets that contain everything they really need in them either. They eat all the time because they're getting what they need from different sources. That's my take on it anyways. It works for me, so I don't plan to change. If you're feeding once a day and it's working, no need to change.

If I could I would feed them 5x a day, just lower amounts. IME fry highly benefit from more frequent feeding with less amount, skyrockets the growth rate!

mfdrookie516 said:
You have to remember that fish in the wild don't have somebody handing them pellets that contain everything they really need in them either. They eat all the time because they're getting what they need from different sources. That's my take on it anyways. It works for me, so I don't plan to change. If you're feeding once a day and it's working, no need to change.

True
A lot of good info, on this thread, to consider.

Ausfish said:
If I could I would feed them 5x a day, just lower amounts. IME fry highly benefit from more frequent feeding with less amount, skyrockets the growth rate!

Ohh yeah! I feed my fry 4-5 times a day a small amount, but their tummies are so tiny you have to feed them frequently. And they're just so darn cute!!!!

Island_Emt said:
I feed once a day with one day off. I also give them a treat once a week of frozen brine shrimp.

I'll give my frontosa brine shrimp about once a week, but never to my mbuna.

Lady_Alia said:
I'll give my frontosa brine shrimp about once a week, but never to my mbuna.

Where can I find pictures of your frontosa tank?

Edit: never mind, found them in your profile! They're beautiful.

Ausfish said:
Where can I find pictures of your frontosa tank?

Edit: never mind, found them in your profile! They're beautiful.

Thanks! :-D

My frontosa tank is def my fave!

Like I said...been feeding twice a day for a long time and, not only have my fish had no health issues, but they are beautiful and reproducing. My egg layers! I think feeding every 2 or 3 days seems a bit extreme for an animal that can eat algae, any time it wants to, in the wild.

Everyone here is certainly entitled to feeding their fish the way they choose, as am I. And there is algae for them to grab, as well as the micro-organisms from the plants. Trust me, I don't starve my fish.

LyndaB said:
Everyone here is certainly entitled to feeding their fish the way they choose, as am I. And there is algae for them to grab, as well as the micro-organisms from the plants. Trust me, I don't starve my fish.

Well said LyndaB. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in trying to help that we forget there are other ways of achieving the same end. I'm sure no one here would accuse you or anyone else here of starving their fish, I mean, after all, anyone who has cichlids loves them and would never do anything to harm them. It's all good.

Back
Top Bottom