I adopted a 4in red shoulder peacock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
I adopted a 4in red shoulder peacock from my dad's tank, his is overcrowded and his tank is too small for this red shoulder. I assumed it is a male due to the coloration and from my amateur venting experience it was a o o.

Now that i introduced it to my tank. My Ruby crystal was trying to mate with it. They were doing the courtship dance. The ruby was shaking its butt and going around in a circle while this red shoulder followed in circle, are they mating or displaying dominance?

I noticed the coloration of the anal fin of the red shoulder is brown and its not as pointed as my male ruby, the dorsal fin too. Could this be a case of hormoned female that turned to a male?

The red shoulder is chasing the ruby around now, the Ruby was the hyper dominant male, now i see his fin clamped (only one with clamped fin)as if hes a dog with his tail between his legs...the ruby keeps following the red shoulder and when the red has had enough he chases the ruby off.

Attachments

• photo(30).jpg
    photo(30).jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 107
  • photo(31).jpg
    photo(31).jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

looks like the ruby mellowed out a bit, but still wants to show that hes boss, no one really messes with the new guy being the biggest and he is really chill. I hope he brings peace to my tank as the ruby was chasing everyone around before

Is it true that he is not a true red shoulder because his anal fin is not all blue? I read somewhere that pure red shoulders are all blue except the shoulder area. Mine has a orangy color on his anal fin, does this mean he could be more hybrid?

Back
Top Bottom