I have no idea what I'm doing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

futurestep9169

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a small aquarium (I think it's not even 30 gallons) that my 5" Oscar has definitely outgrown. I am looking to transfer him to a 72 gallon tank. I have a ton of questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1) How do I transfer him? Do I let the water in the new aquarium sit and filter without the fish for a week? No idea what I'm doing regarding transferring him.

2) Is a Marine Penguin 350 Bio Wheel Filter adequate for a 72 gallon tank with just my 5" Oscar in it?

3) Can I add a pleco/sucker fish to the new tank, or should I wait until the tank has some waste and algae for him to eat?

4) My current aquarium is constantly cloudy. It has been this way ever since I first got my Oscar, when he was only an inch long. I am assuming the filter is inadequate and that he is producing too much waste/ammonia, which is why the water is cloudy. Will a 72 gallon tank be easier to keep clear water in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

How long has the oscar been in your tank now and is it cycled and the 72 gallon would be much better and running the tank for a week wont cycle the tank with an oscar you would want twice the normal filtration do two penguin 350s would be better

I wouldn't transfer him until you have cycled your new tank. So! first things first. you need to read this.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I would do a fishless cycle on the new tank. It will go faster because you can use seeded medium from your present tank and save you a lot of time by not having to do so many water changes.

There is a link on how to fishless cycle in the article

Last edited:
I wouldn't transfer him until you have cycled your new tank. So! first things first. you need to read this.

I would do a fishless cycle on the new tank. It will go faster because you can use seeded medium from your present tank and save you a lot of time by not having to do so many water changes.

There is a link on how to fishless cycle in my sig.

+1 agreed i left that part out

Wow, that is a that is a lot to take in!
The penguin is rated for a tank that size, you'd be okay as long as you don't overstock.
Now If you have a measuring tape, then you could measure your current tank in inches and we can tell you exactly what size it is.
I would take both filters and run them on the large tank, transfer all the media, gravel, decor, etc to the larger tank. This will transfer the BB into the new tank.
Don't add anymore fish till your sure you are cycled.
Tank cloudy? How often do you change the water? and how much do you feed? What is your water conditioner?

Re:

How long has the oscar been in your tank now and is it cycled and the 72 gallon would be much better and running the tank for a week wont cycle the tank with an oscar you would want twice the normal filtration do two penguin 350s would be better

There is a link on how to fishless cycle in the article

Thanks! I have had him in the small tank for about 4 months. I haven't even bought the 72 gallon yet.

Wow, that is a that is a lot to take in!
The penguin is rated for a tank that size, you'd be okay as long as you don't overstock.
Now If you have a measuring tape, then you could measure your current tank in inches and we can tell you exactly what size it is.
I would take both filters and run them on the large tank, transfer all the media, gravel, decor, etc to the larger tank. This will transfer the BB into the new tank.
Don't add anymore fish till your sure you are cycled.
Tank cloudy? How often do you change the water? and how much do you feed? What is your water conditioner?

I change the water twice a week, but it doesn't do any good. I have a de-chlorinator but that doesn't seem to do anything either. I think he's just producing too much waste.

I change the water twice a week, but it doesn't do any good. I have a de-chlorinator but that doesn't seem to do anything either. I think he's just producing too much waste.

Do you swish out the filter media in the old tank water during your water change

No - I have the kind of filter that holds a sponge media and I have changed the sponge twice since I have had the small aquarium.

When changing media should only change it until its falling apart in your hand and you should keep some old media in with the new to keep the bb alive and not putting the tank into a mini cycle each time

With his size and the small tank. I would start doing 50 to 75% water change twice a week. The soon you get the new tank the better.

Your looking at 4 to 6 weeks from the day you get it setup for it to cycle out.

Last edited:
With his size and the small tank. I would start doing 50 to 75% water change twice a week. The soon you get the new tank the better.

Your looking at 4 to six weeks from the day you get it setup for it to cycle out.

That is true. @the OP how much water to change out now

That is true. @the OP how much water to change out now

Thanks for the advice. @Vance - I normally change out 25-30% of the water. I will try to do more.

If I understand from the articles you guys suggested and what you are telling me, if I get the 72 gallon tank and I do a fishless cycle, I can add my Oscar to it in 4-6 weeks?

completely depends on the test results. You need a test kit, available on amazon for 19 dollars. API master kit. when your test reads safe parameters then you can add your fish. but not until then.

completely depends on the test results. You need a test kit, available on amazon for 19 dollars. API master kit. when your test reads safe parameters then you can add your fish. but not until then.

yup, I was estimating 4 to 6. Should have made that clear.

Back
Top Bottom