I Need All Information and Help with Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Rudy_627

hello everyone,

I want to get some angelfish in a few weeks like 2 or 3 weeks and i wolud like all the information i can find about angelfish

i would like links or personal experience with them

how do they act, can they be raised to be communityfish can they breed successfully, are the parents aggressive? anything would be so helpful!!!

TIA!!

ok i saw that

i just need to know OTHER information how they act ect.

Check out the Book Library. Lots of great reading there. :wink:

Rudy, take a look at my sig. The angels described are very active and quite the inquistive fish. They swim the entire tank and they school together (at least right now). They eat everything (literally) but I feed them flakes and freeze dried brine shrimp.

The only drawback is when they mature. They may get aggressive toward each other when deciding on mates and territories. Of course, I'm preparing for this (see sig...bottom).

These are the angels I have http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=972

If this is for your 29gal tank, I wouldn't suggest more than one angel. They get large and need room. Also, they will take care of any molly fry you should have. Yes, they will spawn, even in a community setting but, in my experience, it's to stressful for them and the eggs don't make it. They usually get eaten. Also, angels do get somewhat aggressive, especially if they are spawning or crowded. Good luck.

anglefish can be quit hard to breed. If two anglefish get paired up and spawn. The two parents will take turns guarding the eggs against predators, and when they hatch, I also heard that they will guard the young fry until they are old enough to survive on their own. I guess it is a little hard to pair a couple of anglefish up. That is why when you see a paird set of anglefish, they seem to sell for quick a bit more money. At least that is what I heard from different people.

they do and they thing is, as fluff said if you get more then one angel not only will it be short on room, but if they happen to pair up, they can potentially kill all your other fish. Mine have already killed off a few fish because of spawning.

well it really wouldnt bother me if they did happen to eat one of my fish but on the other hand in about 4 weeks my dad is gonna buy me 2 5 gal QT 's for me 1 for breeding live food for the angelS and one more for sick fish

also like BrianNY said "check our books at the library"

what books are good for me to get my dad told me about this one he thinks it is by Alfred ta. Innes it is about yea thick | |(actual thickness) in life

not to sound mean but what happened to your other fish? Are they still infested with ich? I wouldnt get angel fish into your tank is stablized atleast. If you get em from a petsmart or a place like that they may already be stressed out, so to put them in a tank where ich is ravishing your other fish might not be a great idea. Sorry to be the party pooper

I want angels in the future, but I've only got a 24 gal, does this mean only 1 angel?

the ICH is just about gone on my fishies

i know you think that it is reproducing and hatching but i have noticed that my male molly has been swimmin past the filter rubbing the ich off his tail and the ICH got sucked up does that mean that he is in pain? cause he seems as happy as can be

they are swimming fine, breathing good, eating regularily, and just being themselves and they have had ICH for about 5 days

the ich is just at another stage they still might have it. did you not read the article about ich that was posted for you. the ich will most likely either a) cause an infection that will terminate your fish or b) will come back worse , either way your fish will pass on

I KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geez

but anyways

back to angelfish

what do they eat?
how do they act?
how much room do they need?
can they fit in a 29 gal tank?
will they grow too big for my tank?
will they torture my other fish?
how many angels will fit in a 29 gal?
can they hide alot when they get big?
can they be raised from babies to be peaceful?
can they be community fish?
is it true that i need an odd number of angels incase they hurt eachother and it isnt tic for tac?(hit for hit)

TIA! :D :mrgreen:

Blucat said:
I want angels in the future, but I've only got a 24 gal, does this mean only 1 angel?

Yes, your tank does limit you to one angel. Also keep in mind that you shouldn't get the angel if your tank is already at or near it's stock limit.

Rudy, congrats! Whats interesting about this is you didn't treat the ich in any manner whatsoever. I must say that I'm impressed with this achievement. :D

thanks Jchillin

it really wierd that it is not effeting them at all

Well get some medication and treat them so it is gone..... LOL

Angelfish eat flake food.... I would alternate between tetrabits, HIGH quality flake food, frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Live brine shrimp too if you can get them. Use the flake and tetrabits as a staple food.

They get in fights over territory so they need space. They like it in a tank with amazon swords and Val. If you have a low light tank Anubias lanceolata with lots of crypts could substitute.

I kept a breeding pair in a 20 gal with an amazon sword and no other fish....but they were a pair and liked each other. Lots of water changes.

Infact for optimum conditions water changes of 30% 3 times a week would benefit them.

If you really must have angels in a 29 then get 6 nickel sized ones and feed them lots, 6 times a day small feeds each time... lots of water changes. As they gorw take out any slower growing fish. By the time they are half grown you should have only 3 try to look at their behaviour as the ones that seem to pair up at a young age may be a pair.... they also may not be either YMMV. Ideally you would have a breeding pair.

They would eat your molly fry... if you want angels get rid of the mollies. Corys are great with angels. You might get away with 8 or so tetras... try Emperor or Cardinal or Rummy nose but 8 -10 of only one species.... they need clean water too.... 3 times a week 30% .... at least! Get them before the angels and make sure your angels are small so they don't think of them as food. IME it takes about 12 months before angels reach breeding size...and they don't max out in size for about 2 years or so. Again YMMV. remember 30% pwc 3 times per week.....

Now lets assume all goes really well...... and you have adequate filtration. No ammonia, nitrites and your water changed are keeping nitrates below 10 ppm. Then you could possilbe and 3-4 Apistos. 1 male and the rest females... but keep a 10 gal breeding tank handy........

But before all this... get rid of the ICh with medication and then think about it.

remember 30% pwc's 3 times per week. BIG healthy Angels!

Back
Top Bottom