Information overload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting an african cichlid tank since my tap water is hard and ph is 8.2. I have been researching less agressive species and am a bit overwhelmed.

Mbunas are agressive but would dwarf mbunas be as agressive in my size tank. Should they be crowded?

I would like to stick with smaller varieties. 5" or less. Afraid haps and peacocks may grow too big.

I would appreciate some stocking ideas.

I am starting an african cichlid tank since my tap water is hard and ph is 8.2. I have been researching less agressive species and am a bit overwhelmed.

Mbunas are agressive but would dwarf mbunas be as agressive in my size tank. Should they be crowded?

I would like to stick with smaller varieties. 5" or less. Afraid haps and peacocks may grow too big.

I would appreciate some stocking ideas.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

What size tank is this?

50 gallons

Yes stay away from gaps and peacocks in that tank size. You.do need to stay under the 5" the smaller the better. To answer your question about aggression. There are big ones that are peaceful and small ones that can be extremely aggressive. What you need to do is look around on what you can get your hands on and what you like. Make a big list from that, then look up the profiles for each one note aggression levels and size and try to match them up that way. If any two look alike more than likely they will fight. So try and keep that in mind. When searching for a profile type the fish's name with the word profile after and search Google if the search brings up cichlid forum use that one because it will give you the most info. When you think you got it figured out it would still be a good idea to ask here to make sure. Or just make a list and I can try to make then into stocking groups for you.

Look at getting an elongatus and a cynotilapia of some sort. They stay smaller and are usually pretty peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom