Is this a good 55 gallon cichlid set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
sorry, I am new to this, don't even know if i am posting this in the right spot or not. I am wanting to get these cichlids and I don't know what will make it so there isn't aggression in my tank. (don't want to lose any fish) The tank is a 55 gallon and I will not be upgrading it. It has a c4 hagen filter (up to 70 gallons) I will be buying another one of the same filter for the other side so the filtration is enough. Not that it matters, but I have two heaters, and will have rocks, possible flower pots, and pips in there for them. I have no way of knowing if they are female or male since I buy them when they are an inch long.

5 electric yellow lab -gets 4 inches
5 acei -gets 6 inches
5 red zebra -gets 6 inches
5 demasoni -gets 4 inches
1 brisal nose pleco

I know that is alot of fish, but dont they have to be in big groups? Let me know what should be taken out and/or added. I also like the jewel, electric blue, peacock, bumblebee, basically the nice solorful ones

You are in the right spot and on the right track, 2 filters are definitely the way to go and its hard to beat the fluval/aqua clear filters. A pic will help us tell if you have enough rocks and such

I do not have it set up yet, I currently have an angel and other fish in there but moving them to a 29 gallon. I would get quite a bit (about 20?) make lots of hiding spots, big and little.

That's a lot of fish for a 55. But you already know that. I'm not going to lecture you on it. You know how big they get and how small your tank is.

That's all from me on that issue.

2 heaters good, 2 filters even better. I'd make sure to have lots of hiding places. There rock dwellers so lots of rocks stacked to make caves and tunnels. IMO I'd stay away from the flower pots only because I don't like them lol.

Make the tank as natural looking as you can.

Your probably going to run into aggression issues down the road anyway though.

I will say one last thing, yes people (even me) tend to "overstock" a tank with the idea of lowered aggression. It doesn't always work. I had a male turn hyper dominant and kill 20 fish!!

IMO If you stock a tank responsibly and correctly with the right male to female ratio, that will keep the tank happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom