Is this a Jag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is a picture from my father's tank. he insists its not a jaguar, but instead a "Mang-a-nease" (as he pronounces it). They look the same to me. Can anyone clear this up?

38387-albums1774-picture13908.png

Sorry for the lousy picture, he still uses those disposable cameras believe it or not!

Jaguar is the common name, the latin name is Parachromis Managuense but yes it's a Jag so your both right.

Thanks for the confirmation. I actually thought that might be the case when I looked up the fish and saw the official name.

You're going to cringe when I tell you the stock list of his tank:

90 Gallon: (4 Ft)
1 Jag
1 Convict (Full Grown)
1 Common Pleco
1 Jewel Cichlid
1 Gold Severum (Full Grown)
2 Oscars (Juvs recently added)
1 Cichlid I can't remember the name of.

Can't seem to convince him he is overstocked.

That's a recipe for disaster, between the aggression and inevitable poor water conditions resulting from being overstocked...some of those fish I'm afraid won't live long.

That's a recipe for disaster, between the aggression and inevitable poor water conditions resulting from being overstocked...some of those fish I'm afraid won't live long.

Yeah, I have the same concerns, but he's always been pretty successful with keeping fish alive in grossly overstocked tanks and dismisses the idea that this tank setup is a problem. He used to have a tank full of nipped Geos and Severums, but thinks thats just the "nature of cichlids" as opposed to his stocking choices. I've yet to be able to convince him otherwise.

I know what your saying but there is a difference in keeping them alive as opposed to the fish thriving which is what we all strive for. He has enough fish to fill a 8Ft. 240g and I would bet money on the Jag putting the hurt on the majority of the fish.

Back
Top Bottom