Jack dempsey owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trust me, I've thought about it! I get all the runts.

Except with EBJD's, everyone gets a runt.

Preach...

Like everyone I tried on several occasions. I have given up on them forever. I might just buy a regular JD to put with my bass in the grow out. Cause jds are great looking fish I love the big old fat boys. Look like blue nerf footballs haha.

Aski247 said:
Preach...

Like everyone I tried on several occasions. I have given up on them forever. I might just buy a regular JD to put with my bass in the grow out. Cause jds are great looking fish I love the big old fat boys. Look like blue nerf footballs haha.

Same. I'm done with them, at least as far as raising them. If I stumble on a larger specimen in a local store, maybe I would consider that.

I,m happy that 1 is doing well. Before that it drove me up the wall. But this one paid well off now I want to breed them. Good luck

How big is the tank you EBJD is in? If its 30 or below, that could be why he's so small. They say they max out at 10" but in my experience its usually 11-13" they need lots of space

EBJD grow extremely slow IME. Had myn on a 55 for two years and ended up with a 4in long monstocity of a fish. I have read that the eb morph is actually the runts of the fry batch and dont survive very often in the wild. If you can get a genetically strong one though what a fish!

A note on JD behavior, sense were talking ab it. Mine doesn't even come out of the cave during the day, and is very skiddish. They are also very temperamental, a happy jack, can turn into a depressed, isolating jack with just one slam of a drawer, or accidental tap on the glass.

This is my 55 gal set up for dwarfs though. Swap out the small wood and pots for larger and you'll have a good JD tank.

Attachments

• image-721913413.jpg
    image-721913413.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 57
squirrilah fish said:
How big is the tank you EBJD is in? If its 30 or below, that could be why he's so small. They say they max out at 10" but in my experience its usually 11-13" they need lots of space

I keep mine in a 65gallon with a 15 gallon sump. I think it's just fish!

Never really see mine till night time. But here's the tank

image-3222448543.jpg

Back
Top Bottom