Jack Dempsey Owners, SOME ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If i were you i would get smaller cichlids if you only have a 45 gallon jd's require alot of space to keep them happy and healthy it would be cruel to keep them in an environment with inadequate space i had a jd in a 55 gallon to let him grow until i could introduce him into my 100 gal he quickly outgrew the 55 and got in alot of scraps with smaller cichlids. What you need to remember is a jd is a cichlid and all cichlids are aggressive naturally even "peaceful" cichlids are only as peaceful as a cichlid can get. Cichlids also require alot of space as they are very territorial especially larger species like the jd if placed in a tank too small they won't have the intriguing personalities we all love about them because they will be unhappy having to share there territory in such a small space. There are many smaller cichlid species that could be much easier to sustain in a 45 gal tank and be much more happy in one than a jd would be. Cichlids are also social fish so you would not have much room for tank Mates for a jd. I really suggest you look for smaller species there are many beautiful and just as interesting smaller cichlids you could find and you can keep more of them! :) if you want a very interesting cichlid do some research on shell dwellers i find them to be some of the most interesting cichlids and they would be perfect in a 45.

My store won't do credit, and returns have to be within 3 days or no refund.

Well there goes that idea. Would you be able to get a bigger tank? Craigslist is your friend. It is prob a good idea to look at some smaller species if you can't.

Well there goes that idea. Would you be able to get a bigger tank? Craigslist is your friend. It is prob a good idea to look at some smaller species if you can't.

Well, as it turns out, dad said 45 (or 55) is as big as it gets while I'm under his roof.

I ha e a 55 gallon tank and I had 5 African chiclids a jd 2 oscars and 2 algae eaters. I currently got a second 55 gallon tank. I moved both my oscars and my algae eater that is about 7 inches long. Before I got the new tank everyone got along great. I got the second tank as a present or else I wouldn't of moved anyone out

I ha e a 55 gallon tank and I had 5 African chiclids a jd 2 oscars and 2 algae eaters. I currently got a second 55 gallon tank. I moved both my oscars and my algae eater that is about 7 inches long. Before I got the new tank everyone got along great. I got the second tank as a present or else I wouldn't of moved anyone out

How big were your Oscar's and jd when they were in the same tank?

I agree a jack in a 45 is not enough space not really fair to him you could do convicts which are awesome to watch especially when they spawn fire mouths are awesome and salvinis stay small but can be on the more aggressive side. I myself have a 75 gallon set up with a c530 canister filter by marine land. I have it stocked with 4 convicts a Jack Dempsey and a blood parrot and that's even pushing the limit I'm just hoping the jack doesn't kill the convicts or vice versa once they mature lol

My Oscar was about 8 inches and the other one was about 6 my jd was about 8 as well

I've never thought about convicts, what else could go in the tank with them if I got'em?

Anything firemouths a salvini basically any other smaller sa cichlid just be careful when u pick out the convicts that they are all female cuz if they pair in breed in a 45 they are super protective the females have red on their belly easiest way to tell.

I've never thought about convicts, what else could go in the tank with them if I got'em?

I agree you should only get one sex of convict stick to either only males or only females, they can quickly take over a tank of that size i had a breeding pair in a 100 gal cichlid tank they took over that tank and started picking off other fish and the convict fry took me nearly a month to get them all out of my tank, its really a hassle. So stick to just one sex to save you the frustration or maybe you will be happy with just one convict. I will post a picture of a male and female to show.the difference.

As for tank mates there are many to choose from, jewel cichlids stay small and are quite beautiful, fire mouths, apistogrammas, rams, rainbow cichlid, angel fish, flag or keyhole cichlids, severums, geophagus, there are also other fish species that work well red tail or red finned sharks, plecos algae eaters, mystery snails can work or nerites, loaches, larger gouramis such as opaline or moonlights, larger tetras such as Congo tetras, catfishes and shark. The list goes on, pretty much anything big enough and capable enough to hold its own. Also keep in mind females stay smaller than male convicts.

I have a 55 with a jack tiger Oscar algea eater at one point I had a frontosa red devil and a green terror also with my jack Dempsey no problems except the red devil and green terror messed with my frontosa pretty bad so they went back to the lfs and I have had the frontosa 2 oscars ( till one broke the lid of the tank and jumped out committing suicide) and hubby over feeding and killing the frontosa :-( but my jack got along with everyone but fingers in the tank lol just makes for religious weekly water changes as all cichlids are messy fish and will eat and kill live plants and carry fake plants all around trying to shred them.

How big do the convicts get?

I would say males get 4 to 6 inches mine is 6" and females get around 2 to 4 inches my female is around 3" males usually are about double the size of the female. Females get more colourful males just get really bulky and fat and grow a bit of a lump on there head

Back
Top Bottom