Jalo Reef - Hai Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rare

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Few days ago when I ordered my first of 3 speice I got Jalo Reef. I liked the bay blue & their yellow fins. When I first got them I though their colors would changed from that dark blue to that baby blue as they adapted to the new aquarium & the yellow will show more.

The baby blue wasn’t coming through & something was off. I did more research & found that I don’t have a Cynotilapia Afra ""Jalo Reef"" but a Cynotilapia afra "Hai Reef."" Still stunning and & love them. There seems to be two males showing strong colors, but one is definitely the alpha male. He has claim two spots and has started to dig a hole on the next spot. Didn’t even know about them but another reason to start a tank and have some Jalo Reef.

I’ve fed cucumber & the Hai Reef does eat, but the Yellow labs like it more. Now, the Hai Reef love sweet peas, as the Yellow lab will eat some but pass on most. Also in the mixes of A.Cichlids are Pseudotropheus Saulosi

I contacted the website where i bought them so hopefully the right name will be replaced so others dont get he wrong cichlid.

"Hai Reef"

img0776tt.jpg

img1116o.jpg

Looks identical to the jalo reefs I owned. Only the dominant male will display those beautiful colors. Some sub doms will occasionally as well but that's pretty much it.

i have a male and female cyno. afra hai-reef you cant tell the difference between the two unless there side by side i thought i had two males till she was holding one day. she has spectacular colors for a female.

Mrc8858-malawilover22

So I have a Jalo reef or a Hai Reef? Every pic Ive come across points to be a Hai Reef cause of the balck and yellow fins. Are juvi Jalo Reef born with the color pattern of black and yellow or yellow dorals fin from the go? He/She is the boss of the tank right now....digging the new home

Got an e-mail from the place I bought the cichlids and they said it's a Jalo Reef as they don't sell Hai Reef. Still looks like a Hai Reef to me...lol

I thoght I saw a fish hurt at the bottom as it was swimming on it's side & at the same time I saw that Jalo Reef was on the other side of the tank were he really doesnt go.As I kept watching they were trying to mate but seem like another female wanted in on it cause she will dash in and chase the other female away & do the same dance but he will chase her away.

Back
Top Bottom