Jewel cichclids made fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaAussie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went away for the long weekend and my jewel cichlids have hatched fry. There is a patch next to a low lying grassy plant with 100s of them. The male is hanging around and protecting them and the female is in another part of the 100g tank.

What do I feed them?

How long will it take then to grow?

Will the other fish eat them?

I think I am going to just see if they survive since I don't need 100 new jewel cichlids in my tank. Unless I put them in a new tank and sell them but I remember years ago I had convict cichlids that bred a lot and after selling a couple of batches back to the store they didn't want any more so I don't think it's really that worth it.

Thought? Advise?

Attachments

• image-495311458.jpg
    image-495311458.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 95
Cool is there any other breed of Fish in there? Convicts are plentiful Jewels may be sought after more than Convicts. Either way good luck.

Thanks for the pics

congrats:) my jewels breed as soon as therecurrent fry are gone,and seem to be great parents,so id let them try. and the kinds of fish would help, and how many(the others)

Congrats! My jewels breed like clockwork. I've been leaving them in the main tank because like you said, I dont need 50 more fish in my tank. They feed off their yolk sac until its gone and its around that time when they start to wander and become bait. I just let nature take its course. Good luck!

Sure, I have a big black veiled angel, a kribenis pair, apisto pair, 2 blue rams, a Parkinson's rainbow, a boesmani rainbow, 10 albino lemon tertras, 10 cherry barbs (that all seem pregnant too), a galaxy pleco, a black ghost knife fish & 4 albino corydoras. All the other fish have pretty much been chilling at the other end of the tank cause the male is guarding the fry. But I feel like when they get free swimming won't they get eaten and sucked into the filter? Or maybe just see who survives?

So this morning he had moved a bunch of the fry. These fish are pretty cool and I got then for 2.50 each. Pretty good deal. They are super colorful when they are spawning too.

Attachments

• image-2221677756.jpg
    image-2221677756.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 73
I noticed mine moving the eggs a lot. The day after they were laid I woke up and they were on the opposite side of the tank! They are great parents! Enjoy the experience!

Here is a photo of the male

Attachments

• image-453556071.jpg
    image-453556071.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 78
Does your male get to be a deep red almost purple during spawning?

Wow! That's so cool, mine is different shaped I guess. He has a lot of bulk, I can't ever seem to get a pic of him. Great looking daddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning he is up the front with all the babies at the bottom of a new plant I put in yesterday. So cool. Will they survive if I don't get fresh brine shrimp?

Attachments

• image-3040566353.jpg
    image-3040566353.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 72
If you leave them in the tank they're chances aren't too good whether you feed them or not. Mine never last past the time they absorb their yolk sacs.

This morning he is up the front with all the babies at the bottom of a new plant I put in yesterday. So cool. Will they survive if I don't get fresh brine shrimp?
as long as they can find small foods theyll be fine. ive been raising one in my 10 on whatever he can find in a ton of java moss. but lately ive been crushing up pellets to feed him

They have been swimming around more now and there were hundreds yesterday. I didn't want to turn the light off last night because I thought they would get eaten at night. This morning there were half as many.

Attachments

• image-229357004.jpg
    image-229357004.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3236556479.jpg
    image-3236556479.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 53
They have been swimming around more now and there were hundreds yesterday. I didn't want to turn the light off last night because I thought they would get eaten at night. This morning there were half as many.
unless you have a nocturnal fish,they do better when its dark. most fish are diurnal so go to sleep pretty quickly when its dark

Well I have a black ghost knife fish which I'm pretty sure is nocturnal and a galaxy pleco which I think feeds at night.

Well I have a black ghost knife fish which I'm pretty sure is nocturnal and a galaxy pleco which I think feeds at night.
well,the pleco will be a danger to the eggs,and the knifefish will probably get some fry,but i would still turn off the lights

Back
Top Bottom