Jewel Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, few days ago I purchased three jewel Cichlids and two upside-down catfish. I had four zebra danios in there already. The jewels and catfish are roughly the same size, inch and a half maybe. About once a day a danio gets torn to shreds by the gang of Cichlids, not a big surprise and I'm not worried about it much. But I just noticed one of the catfish looks like he got a fin nipped good and he was sitting there all sad. Guessing he got in a tiff. I really don't want to lose the catfish but I wonder if a little fin nipping is pretty normal or if I should be worried. I dont think I'm underfeeding anyone but I could be underestimating how much to feed them. Is there something I can do to ease the aggression? Could I be doing something wrong? It was my understanding the catfish could handle themselves and I figured if they were growing big with the Cichlids they would be able to defend themselves. Tell me if I'm overreacting or if I should expect more craziness from the jewels. Thanks

Question, why are you just letting your danios get slaughtered? Thats pretty cruel if you ask me, especially if you knew it would happen.

The catfish should be fine. They can be kept with worse. I suggest adding several more to their group, as well as some hiding places if you dont already have some

Gboy66 said:
Question, why are you just letting your danios get slaughtered? Thats pretty cruel if you ask me, especially if you knew it would happen.

The catfish should be fine. They can be kept with worse. I suggest adding several more to their group, as well as some hiding places if you dont already have some

It is cruel. To be honest I didn't think it would happen so quick. But I doubt this is the first time a little fish has gotten eaten by a bigger fish. I wish they would get along, but I'm no fish. The catfish do have an awesome hit that they hang out in, so I think they are set on a hiding place.

Ryanlr88 said:
It is cruel. To be honest I didn't think it would happen so quick. But I doubt this is the first time a little fish has gotten eaten by a bigger fish. I wish they would get along, but I'm no fish. The catfish do have an awesome hit that they hang out in, so I think they are set on a hiding place.

Hopefully next time youll know, you are in charge of their lives after all..

Sounds good! Upside-down catfish are known to be hiders..and good ones at that. Buy a couple more, providing you have the space, and youll see them alot more

Back
Top Bottom