Just got a convict pair, i have some questions !:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
1st. Do they put eggs on slate rocks ?

2nd. How long do they take care of theyr fry before they go at it again ?(when i should take the fry out)

3rd. I have a 22 gallon tank and is it ok to put a divider in it and have the fry on the other side and parents on other side ?(wouldnt divide them until they go at it again), in that case wouldnt there be a possiblity to overstock the tank eventually?

Any convict tips appreciated !:) and sorry for bad english.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

too be honest id think that dividing a 22g is a bit harsh for convicts realistically they arnt tiny fish and a 22g isnt big, so id buy an additional fry tank. as for the breeding aspect of them ive never kept them.

Fry can be raised in 10 gallon tank yes, their parents no. A tank of 36" foot print would be my minimum for a breeding pair.

They can be very aggressive to each other and the male always wants to breed, the female needs to be ready. if the female has no where to run and hide
Till she gets ready fights are sure to be quite brutal and quite possibly brutal.

Eh, convicts are too picky on where they lay, I've seen them lay eggs on the wall of a tank a few times actually.

Eh, convicts are too picky on where they lay, I've seen them lay eggs on the wall of a tank a few times actually.

Agreed and the female will sometimes even move them before they hatch onto a cleared substrate hole while fanning.

Thank you all for the infromation, but what if i divide the tank so 1\3 goes to fry and 2\3 goes to the pair , and i would have top notch filter (180 gals per hour), and weekly 30-40 % water changes ?, thoughts ?

Oh and the dimensions of the tank is : Length 31 inch ,depth 12 inch, height 16 inch

What are your final plans with the fry? If you remove them from the parents they will keep having more fry every several weeks. Anywhere from like 60-150 each time.

I will sell them as much as i can :), but if i choose not to remove them , will they take a break from breeding again? I thought that eventually they would kill off the fry because they want a safe space to breed again... Am i wrong?

I will sell them as much as i can :), but if i choose not to remove them , will they take a break from breeding again? I thought that eventually they would kill off the fry because they want a safe space to breed again... Am i wrong?

They'll breed, raise the fry successfully for a while and then the male will probably want to breed again. If the female doesn't want to breed at this point he'll beat her to within an inch of her life.

So, i would let them get on with it until such point that the female is in trouble, and then remove the male. Then grow them on for a while in the tank until you decide your next move.

It's possible they won't get it right first time, i.e. eat the eggs or newly hatched. If so, just let them try again, it won't take long for Convicts to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom