Just got my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@fishfool that's it then its time to start building haha! Knowing myself I won't wait until the sale lol.

Cichlidjon said:
@fishfool that's it then its time to start building haha! Knowing myself I won't wait until the sale lol.

Lol, we'll you could wait for the sale, & do research until then.. I went to a creek & found some rocks.. Not much though.. Then I went down to a big drain pipe in the neighborhood & took some of those rocks.. & I bought some slate.. Also if ya wanna purchase anything, normally eBay is your best friend.. I've had people tell me they have bought 20 lbs of rocks for like 20 bucks.. You get 20 lbs of rocks from your lfs, your spending like 100 bucks.. If you ever see Pictures of Convicts Cichlid tank, I'm pretty sure he has Cichlid stones incorporated in his build..

Okay so i just get home do a water test, and guess what? My ph is steadily increasing. I use a master test kit and the color of the test sample is PURPLE!!! I think the culprit may be the homemade plant i put in with the quickrete base. I have 2 more yellow labs that look like their struggling with no other signs of disease. I'm gonna remove that plant and see what happens. Although the rusty's and mainganos and cuckoos seem okay I'd rather be safe than sorry. Maybe the yellow labs are more sensitive to the higher ph than the others? We'll see

Just a side note has anyone here chemically lowered their PH? I'm debating on whether or not I want to go that route and use this chemical i have called PH down.

Cichlidjon said:
Just a side note has anyone here chemically lowered their PH? I'm debating on whether or not I want to go that route and use this chemical i have called PH down.

Hi. I just noticed your last post so I haven't read the whole thread but you don't want to mess with the pH. If its stable it's fine and your fish will adapt. pH changing chemicals cause large changes in water chemistry causing stress to the fish and the bacteria in the tank. What is the pH of your tank and why are you worried?

well 1st of all thanks for taking the time out to help me. my concerns started when, after ordering 21 fish online, 2 of my yellow labs died within 3 days, while another 2 are looking lethargic and 1 other yellow lab is swimming sideways. that prompted me to test my water and when i took my ph test it was a dark purple which according to the test reference card is waaaaay high. Now none of my other fish seem affected, the rusty's, cuckoos and mainganos are okay but i want to make sure i'm not contributing to the problem. when i tested 4 more times i was getting a constant 8.2 which after doing some research i found out is ok. my only concern now is that my test kit is old so im gonna buy a new one asap. sorry for the long post but AA has helped me so much i find giving accurate info always leads to accurate help.

Cichlidjon said:
I may have seen one white spot, very small on one of the rustys but it hasn't spread.

If its on its mouth it's from fighting.. Or most likely is.. My Rusty have white lips.. I have Bout 10 fry.. Little over & inch..

@fishfool- thanks for the knowledge I didn't know that. My little guys white spot is on a fin. It's super small and he doesn't seem adversely affected. I'm gonna keep watching him though.

Cichlidjon said:
@fishfool- thanks for the knowledge I didn't know that. My little guys white spot is on a fin. It's super small and he doesn't seem adversely affected. I'm gonna keep watching him though.

If I can snap a picture of one for ya I will.. & np, one of mine has a spot on his fins, but it looks like its torn a bit too.. I think it's from a fight, there are two that I have, who have a lot of white around their mouth..

If they start getting more spots id remove them and put them in there own tank about 10-20g ans treat for ick just to be safe

Back
Top Bottom