Just when I think I know what I'm doing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackomen

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, so I thought I had the red zebras set up right. One male and three females. The male is a pale orange kind of peach colored and the three females are a rich orange. Then I notice yesterday that the "male" zebra is holding. :-| I've come to grips that I was definitely wrong there. Looking around my tank the only other male (I think) that I have in there is an albino socolofi. I guess I'll see if I can locate a blue male red zebra to fix that situation. Although, I am kinda curious about the weird mutant fry that may result. But, I'm going to let nature take it's course on that front. Just thought I'd share. :silly:

As far as I know Blue Red zebras are only found in the wild. It is pretty hard to tell the males and females apart. My Males have a blueish sheen to them. The whole eggspot thing hasnt worked for me either. You can also look up venting on the internet. That is the only sure way to tell sex.

I did a lot of reading when I found two of my females holding recently, I have found the best way to differentiate is the males have a blue ting to their fins, my males are larger then their female counter parts too. My males have "polka dots" (larger oval spots) on their anal fin while more of my females have "freckling" (small dots). Most of my males where over three inches long before they became distanced enough to differentiate.

Back
Top Bottom