Hi I don't know what I got myself into

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kyle0226

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So here goes I bought two mail sailfin Molly's because I thought they looked soo cool the way they put their fin up like a sail when they swim, however the two males started chasing each other and stressing out my other fish in my 60 gallon Soo I decided to buy some females. I bought one regular black female Molly along with three female sail sin Molly's so that makes the odds 4 females and 2 males. It was going good for like a week now the males don't even swim around they stay right up the females butt all day long the females are always pregnant but the fry don't make it cuz my fish eat them but seriously all day long the males chase and breed with the females I guess I should have expected that but I mean not ALL day long. So I want to make a change what would happen if I took all the females out and just kept one male molly would that be bad or if I did decide to just keep the males besides them chasing each other would it be bad to take the females away from the males permanently???

I think the solution to your problem would be buying a breeding box :) They're specialized nests that prevent parents from eating their fry. They can grow up there until they're of appropriate size; this happens with a lot of fish species so you don't have to worry about it.

So I want to make a change what would happen if I took all the females out and just kept one male molly would that be bad or if I did decide to just keep the males besides them chasing each other would it be bad to take the females away from the males permanently???

Mollies prefer to be in groups so I would not leave just one alone. You could add more females (if you have tank space) to give the males more to do besides harass the same few. Or perhaps remove a male to have the 4F to 1M ratio. These are live-bearers so they will breed breed breed, not much you can do about that.

Back
Top Bottom