Kribensis Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i was just looking for some advice on my Kribs. I purchased 2 Kribs about 3-4 wks ago. They are my first cichlids, and they seem very settled. They are quite active and seem very healthy.. I am 99% certain they are male and female. The 'male' is about 1 1/2 times the size of the 'female'. The 'female' has a spot on her anal fin. Also the colour on her dorsal fin fades out before it reaches the tip(i read this is a good way to sex them??). The male develops a rosey belly especially when he becomes aggressive around feeding time. He generally is very peaceful and allows the other fish into his terriority..He is generally only aggressive towards the female. He chases her around the tank if she comes into his territory. He will chase her until she hides behind the powerhead..There are two large clay pots in the tank and a cave which he claimed as his..when he becomes aggressive his colour goes from almost completely silver with a faded vertical stripe across his body to very colourful- yellow, strong black stripe and some blue. The female becomes almost completely black and is very wiery of him..The bloke in the small independent lfs(he's also a mate) and who i trust said they definitely are male and female..Is this behavior normal..Sorry if this seems like a dumb question/statement but i haven't kept cichlids before and am fairly new to freshwater...All advice/opinions welcome...Thanks, Ian

Ian086 said:
Hi, i was just looking for some advice on my Kribs. I purchased 2 Kribs about 3-4 wks ago. They are my first cichlids, and they seem very settled. They are quite active and seem very healthy.. I am 99% certain they are male and female. The 'male' is about 1 1/2 times the size of the 'female'. The 'female' has a spot on her anal fin. Also the colour on her dorsal fin fades out before it reaches the tip(i read this is a good way to sex them??). The male develops a rosey belly especially when he becomes aggressive around feeding time. He generally is very peaceful and allows the other fish into his terriority..He is generally only aggressive towards the female. He chases her around the tank if she comes into his territory. He will chase her until she hides behind the powerhead..There are two large clay pots in the tank and a cave which he claimed as his..when he becomes aggressive his colour goes from almost completely silver with a faded vertical stripe across his body to very colourful- yellow, strong black stripe and some blue. The female becomes almost completely black and is very wiery of him..The bloke in the small independent lfs(he's also a mate) and who i trust said they definitely are male and female..Is this behavior normal..Sorry if this seems like a dumb question/statement but i haven't kept cichlids before and am fairly new to freshwater...All advice/opinions welcome...Thanks, Ian

I've been researching and ton. It sounds fairly normal. Maybe try to make the little one as comfy as possible? Or if he continues to be really aggressive maybe take him out rearrange the tank with the little one in and put the big one back in once the little one has warmed up?

I've been researching and ton. It sounds fairly normal. Maybe try to make the little one as comfy as possible? Or if he continues to be really aggressive maybe take him out rearrange the tank with the little one in and put the big one back in once the little one has warmed up?
Thanks Teakwood, i thought the behaviour was maybe a sign of breeding but it seems a bit aggressive!!. I was thinking of taking him out for a while to 'chill out' but i don't have anywhere to put him as my 10g is full of platy/mollie fry at the moment and i don't think they would last too long!!. I have a breeding trap but i don't think would be a good idea either as he would probably freak out and i obviously don't want to see him suffer..I think i'll rearrange the tank a bit and see will that help...Thanks for your advice...Ian.
:thanks:

add a couple caves. i had the same issue with my first pair. i used a castle decoration at first then got two terra cotta pots and then they became a pair and had babies. just takes time.

add a couple caves. i had the same issue with my first pair. i used a castle decoration at first then got two terra cotta pots and then they became a pair and had babies. just takes time.
Thanks delfisherman, I have a cave in there already,which he 'owns' and also two 11cm wide terra pots.There lying on there side, buried about 1/3 the way into the sand. I haven't noticed him taking too much attention to them, apart from when food drifts into them!!. I'm not actively trying to breed them but obviously wouldn't mind if they did!..I guess i'll just wait it out and see what happens...Thanks for your reply, Ian

Back
Top Bottom