kribs really aren't that peaceful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a single male krib in each of my 29 gallons tanks. They seem to chase everything. I have read that they are great community fish on several sites but I haven't seen many fish they haven't jumped at or chased. I've even seen one swim to the upper layer to bite an angelfish. I have noticed that my angelicus loaches are ignored and can swim all around the krib without causing him to attack. I've even seen them take food from him and he doesn't do anything. These guys have only been in the tanks for a little over 24 hours so maybe they will settle down some in time.

Good luck. I had to move mine into a tank to themselves. I have a pair and they were tearing up my plecos. I gave them almost two weeks to calm down but when the plecos started to have chunks missing, they had to go. I have them QT'd in a small tank where they will probably stay.

I don't even have a pair in a tank. I've got just a single male/tank. I hope they cool down. They are attractive fish.

Even so when there are females they will start to breed (most likely) and when that happens the male and female batter each other (well did in my case) they use to tell each other off.

Yeah, females will only complicate teh matter, as spawning REALLY brings out the aggression in these reasonably peaceful fish. Only time they are meaner is when they have free swimming fry. at that point, they'll kill most of the fish in the tank.

Do you have caves for your kribs? they are cave dwellers and will be very edgy if they don't have a hole to call home.

Kribensis has been too unpredicatble to be a good community fish in my tanks, too. A really big tank with lots of plants and things to hide in is all I can think of to suggest.

So you recognize the good Captain Avatar! Thanks ceratophyllum. I've been waiting for someone to say something.

I've got tons of hiding spaces and caves for the kribs. I have noticed one of them has chilled-out some. He is hanging out more and I've seen him swimming next to and ignoring fish he once terrorized. He doesn't swim and hide as badly now when I approach the tank.

The one in the other tank hides in one of 3 caves most of the time and rapidly darts away when I approach. When I stand there for a while he comes out and swims around, not always on the attack but he does chase the curviceps cichlids if they come near. The lion has not lain with the lamb there yet, but I'm hopeful. I do think his attacks have lessened a little.

Well, the kribs have stopped harassing everyone and peace has been restored. I guess it just took some time for them to adjust to the new surroundings. I watched them a good bit last night and saw little to no bad behavior.

Back
Top Bottom