Lab food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently (2 days ago) got some labs from my lfs. I tried feeding nls but only one of the fish came out to eat and it spit it right out. Then i tried flake food and the two others came out to eat it but the one that tried to eat the nls sat back and watched. I will use flake food if i have to but cichlids in my experience eat the flakes and 99% of it comes out of their gills. I would like to get them all to eat the nls but i am not sure what to do.

What you could try doing is soaking the pellets in garlic, this attracts the fish to it more. Mbuna need food that contains a lot of spirulina, so just look for that also.

I will try that. But what about the lab that was attracted to the pellets, but spit them back out?

As to that, im not sure. There could be multiple reasons. Youve had them for only 2 days correct?? Have you tried the food again?

Apparently labs are slightly more on the protein side of diets than most Mbuna so might just be a bit reluctant to indulge in so much 'greenery'. Mine get new era green and eat it up fine but go nuts once a week when I drop a block of cichlid mix with the brine shrimp in. I wouldn't say it's a major issue, eventually they'll all warm up to the food, could try spicing up their diet with a tiny bit of brine shrimp if you want.

So i fed them the nls today and they all went for it, but one of them just spit it back out, i think it is the same one that has been doing it for the past few days. But i am not sure, 2 of them look alike. The other i am not really sure is even a lab.

Back
Top Bottom