Lake Tanganynika stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone, I was considering starting a cichlid tank. I am very experienced with fish but just not cichlids and I've been wanting a cichlid tank for some time. I have been looking around and found I like the lake Tanganynika cichlids best and I was wondering what all I needed to do to make them happy. I have a 75 gallon on standby with one delhezi bichir in it and I want some cichlids. I was thinking a frontosa, some bichardi and a few others. I know they need lots of rocks and wood and not so much plants. I know the basics of them but can anyone give me a good rundown of stocking/ and care ideas? Also I have a fluval fx6 operating in it so I'm pretty sure my filtration is adequate.

Hello everyone, I was considering starting a cichlid tank. I am very experienced with fish but just not cichlids and I've been wanting a cichlid tank for some time. I have been looking around and found I like the lake Tanganynika cichlids best and I was wondering what all I needed to do to make them happy. I have a 75 gallon on standby with one delhezi bichir in it and I want some cichlids. I was thinking a frontosa, some bichardi and a few others. I know they need lots of rocks and wood and not so much plants. I know the basics of them but can anyone give me a good rundown of stocking/ and care ideas? Also I have a fluval fx6 operating in it so I'm pretty sure my filtration is adequate.

I'd do some more research to be honest. Cichlids am be tricky if not researched properly, and I understand that's why you're asking on here, but sometimes personal research is the best. There have been several tanganyikan threads on here the past few months, I'd search the forum and read through them. That should help a lot, there's one with a member named Trustemedia and myself that has a lot of information on many species, if I wasn't on my ipad, I'd find the link and add it

Frontosa need to be in groups, and are LARGE fish, reaching 15" and generally require a 6 foot, 180 gallon or bigger.they are also predatory and I've seen horror stories with them.

Also, wood is not desirable in a Tang tank, more rock work really. Also, a polypterus of any species will not do well with tangs, it will prey on most common kept species. If you really want to keep cichlids with a fish like bichir, I'd look into cichlids from the other side of the world, central and South America, but the small size of the tank (unfortunately most New Worlds [south and Central American species] get quite large, especially those capable of holding their own with a delhezi) will limit your choices.

Ok well I can move the bichir with no issue to another tank. I will ask around more and go to my LFS. They have a tang tank (the owner) and he's always said they're his fav. Well thanks ill be sure to do some researching! I may also just end up sticking with the predators I have.

Ok well I can move the bichir with no issue to another tank. I will ask around more and go to my LFS. They have a tang tank (the owner) and he's always said they're his fav. Well thanks ill be sure to do some researching! I may also just end up sticking with the predators I have.

Yeah, your best bet is to narrow down your research and ask the specifics on here, I'll be more than happy to help! My basic guide for a large tang tanks is:

1 locale of cyprichromis leptosoma
1 species of julidochromis
1 species of shell dweller
1-2 species of "other", like rock dwellers, sand sifters, lamprologine, etc

Yes I would love some help! Also I'm not a beginner, I have had fish all my life just not cichlids and from people I've heard they're so much different.
So yes help will be greatly appreciated
Could I do some bichardi and a few shell dwellers? I'm gonna miss the frontosa but I'll find somethin else to replace it! Also the Julie's are pretty amazing too

Yes I would love some help! Also I'm not a beginner, I have had fish all my life just not cichlids and from people I've heard they're so much different.
So yes help will be greatly appreciated

The genera cyprichromis, lamprologus, neolamprologus, julidochromis, are gonna be your stereotypical tanganyikan tank species, google those, find species you like, compare their requirements, and post them on here, that's usually a good way to balance your own research with that of others :)

Ok I did some lookin around and found I like everything you listed but the cyprichromis. I love the bichardi and lamprologus and the other ones. Is there anything else out there? I don't really know what to research since I'm new to cichlids. Also the Julis are really cool and those will be goin in the tank for sure too.

Ok I did some lookin around and found I like everything you listed but the cyprichromis. I love the bichardi and lamprologus and the other ones. Is there anything else out there? I don't really know what to research since I'm new to cichlids.

Try key words, like "tanganyikan cichlids", or things like that, there's also a great documentary on Tanganyika on YouTube know as Jewels of the rift

Hm, ok well thanks! You helped me a bunch especially with the frontosa, I would've put him in an improper home without knowing it. Thanks!

Sorry to drag this thread back up but I looked at your profile and threads and stuff and it gave me some ideas and inspiration to maybe do some South American or Central American in the 75! Thanks again

Sorry to drag this thread back up but I looked at your profile and threads and stuff and it gave me some ideas and inspiration to maybe do some South American or Central American in the 75! Thanks again

Not a problem, I do more peaceful types of new worlds, but there's several members on here better with the "wet pet" side of new worlds (lg and aggro)

Back
Top Bottom