Low GH reason for no breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got my water tested 2 weeks ago and my ph was 8.2, nitrate 20, and GH was 7. My tank has been set up for several months and I have multiple peacock females that are proven breeders however I have never even seen any breeding like activity in my tank. The males dont even seem to be interested in the females. I recently have been wondering if this is do to my low GH ( ive been told it should be 10+) so I picked up some carib sea florida crushed coral and have added two nylons full to my aqua clear filters and a bit on top of my white sand. I am hoping this will help raise my GH but am also wondering if others think my low levels of GH are what has been stopping my cichlids from being in the mood. Any other suggestions regarding my method of raising gh would also be great.

No I do not I only have a nitrate test kit.
That reading was from a very good LFS near me.

If you get API make sure you fill up to the horizontal line of the A. I still don't know why API put the 5ml line too low
It could just take a little longer for them to start breeding. I once watched a pair breed for the first time and let me tell you, I don't think I will ever see this again. I think a pheromone was released and sparked mating season. 3 other pairs instantly started mating. Weird stuff

Back
Top Bottom