Lowering ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your talking about lowering a full stocked tank you must do it slowly. My ph is at 6.6, tap water is 8.6. I use Discus buffer from Seachem which works great! My stock is Rams and they seem to be very happy. What to use depends on what fish you have.

There is a liquid PH down and some for just cichlids. I only use stuff for African cichlids to get PH up. Also if it's way to high a PWC will help!

7 is fine for a Ram tank unless you want to breed. Stable PH is more important than a low one. If you want to lower the PH for Rams use the discus buffer, just follow the directions. You dont need the Neuteral regulator btw.

gallowchris said:
7 is fine for a Ram tank unless you want to breed. Stable PH is more important than a low one. If you want to lower the PH for Rams use the discus buffer, just follow the directions. You dont need the Neuteral regulator btw.

Really? I was reading a care sheet and it said it should be at 6-6.5.

You're PH is fine for rams, don't muck with it. You'll end up creating more problems than its worth. Also I guarantee that those fish were raised in a tank with a ph of 6.8-7.2

They only time you should worry about matching PH is if the fish are wild caught.

Mogurako said:
You're PH is fine for rams, don't muck with it. You'll end up creating more problems than its worth. Also I guarantee that those fish were raised in a tank with a ph of 6.8-7.2

They only time you should worry about matching PH is if the fish are wild caught.

Ok thanks man. But will they still mate in that ph level?

Yes they well. Now wether or not you'll get a successful spawn where they don't eat the egg or wigglers is a whole different story.

Mogurako said:
Yes they well. Now wether or not you'll get a successful spawn where they don't eat the egg or wigglers is a whole different story.

Yeah I heard. But I got some almond leaves with them because I heard that liked it. I hope I will lower the pH at a safe rate and I also have a little driftwood in there

Yeah I heard. But I got some almond leaves with them because I heard that liked it. I hope I will lower the pH at a safe rate and I also have a little driftwood in there

I was just going to suggest Almond leaves, driftwood, filtration over peat and a mixing of R/O water as options. These don't contain acids and chemicals that may bottom out Ph if accidentally overused.

gallowchris said:

If you keep the temp high and nice regular WC 7 is fine for breeding rams... My pair have laid at 7

If you keep the temp high and nice regular WC 7 is fine for breeding rams... My pair have laid at 7

And quite a few do it in a higher Ph also, I had 3 pair at one time spawning in well water 8.2 Ph, although it did take forever for them to stop eating the eggs and wigglers.

Gillie said:
And quite a few do it in a higher Ph also, I had 3 pair at one time spawning in well water 8.2 Ph, although it did take forever for them to stop eating the eggs and wigglers.

8.2!?!? Wow that's pretty high. I see

Wow guys, I just checked my pH and it's 8.2! That's high for Rams

ryan-peddle said:
I also keep and breed rams of all kinds successfully in 8.5 ph I never touched ph + or - stable ph is much more important

Ok. I guess so. Everyone keeps saying that but I jut don't want my Rams to like die or be unhappy but thanks

They will be fine you can also just make subtle changes to help you PH like almond leaves for example

Back
Top Bottom