Malawi trout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubba643

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saw this guy at my LFS yesterday. Guy said his supplier threw it in with his last order. Haven't seen too many like this one was wondering if it's rare.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 121
Did the shop confirm it is a Malawi trout?... The image is not that clear.

If it is a Champsochromis caeruleus they are very cool, but get large to the point of 13"+ so to me we are taking an 8' long tank....

It terms of rarity, you can find them for sale but you will have to do some looking and should expect to order online versus a local pickup.

I came close to purchasing one but came to terms with the fact that they really need a larger tank than what I could provide and so I passed.. maybe someday!

Look them up on the web and you'll see some beautiful colors, they really are quite sleek and magnificent.

It looks like a Malawi Trout. Not overly rare; I see them sometimes at a LFS that specializes in cichlids. Gundog is correct however: they get large. They're also at least partly piscivorous, and will eat smaller fish, so they aren't a good idea if you have dwarf cichlids, or breeding cichlids in the same tank.

Ah good to know. I was more curious than anything. Looked like one of the larger species of Africans I had just not seen trout yet in my LFS's. Pretty fish but I am tending SA/CA only for a while anyway.

Back
Top Bottom