Mbuna cichlid in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CheekyAl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, a couple months back i posted a thread about converting my 240 litre 4ft community aquarium to a marine aquarium (i wanted something different as i would have ended up with 2 planted community aquariums in the same room), but after lots of research i decided i wasnt happy converting my aquarium to a marine.
So i started to look into other options and thought that mbuna cichlids (colourwise) where just as appealing, if not more so, than marine fish. After lots of research into there requirements, etc i have just finished aquascaping my aquarium. Pictures below, what do you guys think?

I have a fluval 406 external filter (1550 litres/hour), an extra powerhead (670 litres/hours), limestone rocks and eco-complete cichlid sand, 2 juwel limestone 3d backgrounds and a peice of driftwood to hide the join in the 3d background. (smart eh, lol)

Stockwise im looking at yellow labs, synodontis catfish of some kind, and im opening to any suggestions on other mbuna cichlids (im still researching while the tank goes through its cycle)

Attachments

• S1040001.JPG
    S1040001.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 91
  • S1040002.JPG
    S1040002.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 103
Very nice you won't be disappointed with Malawi cichlids they are great.

image-2548614384.jpg

image-1224499141.jpg

Just a couple of pics of my 260l

very nice tank. i also have limestone in my tank. just dont add too much of it i was told that it raises the ph. your drift wood will prob even it out bcuz it lowers ph. im def following this thread you have a great tank. :)

gman42 said:
very nice tank. i also have limestone in my tank. just dont add too much of it i was told that it raises the ph. your drift wood will prob even it out bcuz it lowers ph. im def following this thread you have a great tank. :)

Malawi Cichlids like a higher ph. I don't think you can have too much limestone...

Nice tank! I love the driftwood. Keep an eye on the PH for sure with the limestone. Also I think you need some anubias in the background

For options on other cichlids there are many choices!
Melanochromis species
Labeothrophues
Labeochromis
Zebra
Peacocks
And many more. I have a set with 5 Labeothropues Fuellborni, 5 Yellow labs, 1 (soon to be 5) Hongi

Also make sure you overstock your tank, this sounds really weird but it helps to reduce aggresion and trust me it works. I put more fish in and they were less aggresive to eachother and i couldnt be happier with the choice i made to go cichlids

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom