Neolamprologus brichardi in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have only just recently started researching these guys so i may be off on whether or not they would be suitable in my tank. Currently i have a 20 gallon long (30x12x12") that i have started my first low light/tech planted tank in. Was origonally going to do a community tank with rummynose tetras and corries, and have 6 rummys in there now. But i find cichlids much more interesting then the little schoolers and started thinking about more personable options for such a small tank. I am aware that with these i would need to rehome the tetras

So previously i had thought these were shelldwellers, but it turns out they live in a rocky environment? So would they do ok in a planted tank with pool filter sand, as it sits currently? Or is it like my mbuna where they need the rocky caves? And would they be ok in this small of a tank?

For those who have raised them, do they have good personality? I like the quirky nature of my mbuna africans and im after something that could be in a smaller tank and still have the personality

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447302055.362983.jpg
This is the tank currently. Not sure if they'd be ok in a similar setup as a single or pair alone in there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are rock dwellers, they love rocks and caves. If your looking for shelldwellers, I'd look into, neolamprologus multifascius, ocellatus, meleagris, brevis. And Shellie's are notorious for digging, so most of those plants won't last long being rooted

Sent via echolocation

As this does not mimic their natural habitat, I would avoid brichardi and Shellies for that matter. Why not keep the rummy nose and add a pair/trio of apistogramma?

I'm not looking for shell dwellers anymore. But thought these could be cool. Always caught my eye and I was looking for something with a bit more personality than the community fish. Although I'll likely stick with the 8-10 rummynose and 8 panda corries I originally was planning. I wanted a Bolivian ram but it seems they wouldn't like my hard water

very nice fish. Loves hard water.
They live in greater depth, deeper than our aquariums are high.

Attachments

• DSC_08010.jpg
    DSC_08010.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 168
What do you have for hiding spots? I'd like to get more cichlids stones for my main tank and then also this one if I did. They're just a bit pricey lol

Back
Top Bottom