Mbuna stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gawang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am interested in try a mbuna tank Ina 40 gallon breeder. Does anyone have any experience on what types to use and whether or not it could work in that size tank. Thanks!

It is normally recommended to have a 4' long tank for mbuna, so a minimum 55g. I think a 40 breeder is 3' if I remember which would not be advised and could lead to a lot of aggression.

You could go with dwarf cichlids in there though.

CraigMac said:
It is normally recommended to have a 4' long tank for mbuna, so a minimum 55g. I think a 40 breeder is 3' if I remember which would not be advised and could lead to a lot of aggression.

You could go with dwarf cichlids in there though.

Have to agree:/ though if your lucky aggression won't be a problem. Yellow labs are cool though.

Fishie said:
Have to agree:/ though if your lucky aggression won't be a problem. Yellow labs are cool though.

I've heard that single species can work in smaller tanks. Any experience with that?

I've heard that single species can work in smaller tanks. Any experience with that?

Single species do work well together but they still need a slightly larger set-up. You could go with a Tanganyika set-up with some julidochromis, Neolamprologus leleupi, some shell dwellers etc.. These would work much better in a 40G (y)

Back
Top Bottom