Missing Female Kribensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I do apologize for constantly talking about my kribensis, but roughly 5 days - 7 days ago, my female kribensis disappeared. I assumed she was hiding and was giving birth since her tummy was super red. The male kribensis is usually swimming around the tank low-middle but not aggressive at all. (I thought male kribensis were really aggressive while the female was giving birth)

Should I uproot all my ornaments? Or allow my kribensis to be hidden for a while?

Test for ammonia. If there is ammonia you can assume she didn't make it and start looking for a body. Check around the tank, under it, in your hood etc to see if she jump.

I tested ammonia, it is 0, I looked everywhere and still could not find it. Checked the floor, filter everything.

I finally found the female kribensis. It was hiding in a ship. But i don't think she have birth. Lately the male kribensis has been very aggressive towards her. He nipped her scales off and his only aggression is toward her. What should I do? Should I place my female kribensis in a 5.5 gallon hospital tank? Or should I put the male in the 5.5 for now? There are no other aggression in the tank.

It is a 55 community with
2 kribensis
5 platys
5 tiger barb
1 albino pleco
1 apple snail.

Here are pics.

Attachments

• image-1523992.jpg
    image-1523992.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 101
Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i think you should put some tetras in there for target fish xx

Thanks! Is target same as ditcher fish? And would any tetra would compatible? How many should I go about getting?

I actually went to Petsmart today since Danios were on sale for $1 each. I got 3 but for some reason they only stay in one spot and goes in circles. Any idea about what is going on? :(

Cornstar said:
I actually went to Petsmart today since Danios were on sale for $1 each. I got 3 but for some reason they only stay in one spot and goes in circles. Any idea about what is going on? :(

They need a school of 6+, that and being in a new tank will make them nervous.

Update! (12/15/11)

My female kribensis seems to have recovered from the injuries caused by the male kribensis! So yay!

A few days ago I switched from gravel to sand, and waited for the sand to settle down. I had my mom feeding the fishes for the past few days I was away in school studying for my finals. So today I came home and noticed that my two kribensis seemed to have paired off! They follow each other majority of the time and no more nipping! :)

I don't know if it is the sand or the danios but I am sure excited about this!

Cornstar said:
Update! (12/15/11)

My female kribensis seems to have recovered from the injuries caused by the male kribensis! So yay!

A few days ago I switched from gravel to sand, and waited for the sand to settle down. I had my mom feeding the fishes for the past few days I was away in school studying for my finals. So today I came home and noticed that my two kribensis seemed to have paired off! They follow each other majority of the time and no more nipping! :)

I don't know if it is the sand or the danios but I am sure excited about this!

:dance: glad it all worked out!!

congradulations! Just for your information the kribensis is a cichid. It lays eggs and does not give birth. I hope you get some baby kribs soon!

Back
Top Bottom