Most aggressive mbuna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cichlid-dude said:
No he hasnt touched the ice blues. He has only killed other bumblebees.

Male bumblebees are renowned for killing off any other male bumblebees in the same tank.They just don't seem to like the competition.

Maingano definitely gram for gram pretty tough.

Attachments

• image-898715006.jpg
    image-898715006.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 113
My likoma island elongatus is nasty. He chases everyone in my tank.

The tank boss is a red Zebra only because he grew at an incredible rate, I do think that may change in the future.

I've always kept maingano and they are relentless.

Malawi Freak said:
I've always kept maingano and they are relentless.

They are very conspecific aggressive and like you stated a constant little bully. Remind me of the little striped guy from Central America in attitude. The Amatitlania nigrofasciata.

Thanks for all the help. I really like the auratus and johanni but looks like I'll stay away. Thanks again everyone.

Then he's a vicious psychopath.

Nah, just a misogynistic serial killer.

Weird how everyone says auratus and kenyi. I have both and mine are actually mellow. Same with my zebras and labs. It's my featherfins (syno catfish) that do the rump-kicking in that tank.

I think you could sit and list a hundred species of mbuna, everyone is going to have a different opinion and experience depending on what other genus of fish they are being housed with.

Mine was always a Maylandia msobo, no matter where I placed them it was tough to find tankmates that could take their onslaught.

Last edited:
TampaTank said:
Thanks for all the help. I really like the auratus and johanni but looks like I'll stay away. Thanks again everyone.

You can probably get away with Maingano. They look exactly like johanni except both male and female are blue and black whereas the female johanni is yellow.

Maingano are a little less aggressive then johanni in my experience. I rehomed my johanni but later got maingano and they are fine in my tank.

..Mine was always a Maylandia msobo, no matter where I placed them it was tough to find tankmates that could take their onslaught.

The only serial killer I've had since I've kept mbuna's has been a female msobo.

After co-existing fairly peacefully without any issue for number of years, in one afternoon she single-handedly converted my msobo group from 2m/4f to 2m/1f by killing two of her sisters and nearly finishing the last female (which I was able to save in time).

When returned the tank weeks later the recuperated female immediately attacked the original aggressor-female who at this time was moutbrooding and disadvantaged. They were permanently separated after that. I eventually had to separate the males which started going after each other in when continuously kept in 2m/1f gender ratio conditions.

Since then I've been able to keep the females of this species peacefully only in large harems (currently about ten females for a matured male and immature male).

My 2 female auratus are not aggressive at all. I also have kenyi that arn't too bad.....the most aggressive is a big male albino red top zebra I have.

RedNeck said:
My 2 female auratus are not aggressive at all. I also have kenyi that arn't too bad.....the most aggressive is a big male albino red top zebra I have.

I second that with my
Female aratus... Males are
Quite a different story tho.

Been doing some thinking about this recently. I think with my experiences cyanotilapia hara and afra have had the most conspecific aggression I've seen. They are always going at it.

Back
Top Bottom