Mouth brooding???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I generally have to remove a good portion of rocks to catch the females since they're very skittish when they are holding. You could also try to catch then during water changes that sometimes helps cutting down on real estate. The last trick which works well, depending on where the tank is try when the lights first come on and the first are slight disoriented. I still get frustrated when tring to catch them and sometimes I'd like to drop a toaster in the tank!!

HUKIT said:
I generally have to remove a good portion of rocks to catch the females since they're very skittish when they are holding. You could also try to catch then during water changes that sometimes helps cutting down on real estate. The last trick which works well, depending on where the tank is try when the lights first come on and the first are slight disoriented. I still get frustrated when tring to catch them and sometimes I'd like to drop a toaster in the tank!!

LOL!!! Thanks again. I'll try when I do my next pwc. As for the lights trick that is a good idea. They sure look very disoriented when it first comes on. However, I get disoriented with the bright lights too, haha! Speaking of selling the fries, I don't know if I will. How much are you selling your peacock fries for? I would like to get a couple of males.

The problem with peacocks is the males don't start showing color until around 1.5-2in, so I usually sell the peacocks for $3 when they hit the 1in mark and $2 for mbuna around an inch, and Oscar fry for a dollar to the local stores( which is cool because they will drop over 400 eggs).

HUKIT said:
The problem with peacocks is the males don't start showing color until around 1.5-2in, so I usually sell the peacocks for $3 when they hit the 1in mark and $2 for mbuna around an inch, and Oscar fry for a dollar to the local stores( which is cool because they will drop over 400 eggs).

So you don't sell any that are starting to show a little bit if they are males or females? I was able to fortunately get a Mac red face peacock that is about an inch or over that you can definitely tell that it is a male. I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance to take a shot. Are you considering selling them to individuals?

No I sell all my fish with the exception of Oscar fry around 1in. Some males will start to show a small amount of color around 1in but not enough to always make a positive id.

I sell all my peacocks/mbuna to individuals and the oscar fry to local pet shops.

I had a yellow do this before. you might want to get a smaller tank set up and running for the fry. otherwise its going to be a feast when she spits them out.

your best bet is to have the tank cycle with some of your larger tanks water, then in about two week open her mouth and put then in the smaller tank.

net her and put her in a 10 gallon tank so she wont get picked on, untill she spits em out. its more humane than stripping her . its also another reason to get a new tank that can be used for that and quarentining or hospitalising hurt or sick fish. i just had my first batch from a red zebra, that i did this way. not sure if the dominate male got her prego... he is a blue cobalt, sohopefully no crossbreeding, right now the fry are orange in color...will see. good luck!

doogle said:
net her and put her in a 10 gallon tank so she wont get picked on, untill she spits em out. its more humane than stripping her . its also another reason to get a new tank that can be used for that and quarentining or hospitalising hurt or sick fish. i just had my first batch from a red zebra, that i did this way. not sure if the dominate male got her prego... he is a blue cobalt, sohopefully no crossbreeding, right now the fry are orange in color...will see. good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a 10 gal QT tank, but I think I'll let them spit out in the 75 gal tank. The fries will be hybrids and I don't really intend to keep or sell them. If they survive then they are lucky and if they look nice then I might keep them.

Back
Top Bottom