A Goldfish that's not a Goldfish. . . ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PandaFishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I am relatively new to the aquarium world and am looking to get a fish for my 5 year old daughter. She likes how the goldfish at the store would follow her finger and open their mouths like they were trying to eat it. I was going to get a goldfish but was told that due to their excessive waste I would need to clean the tank much more often than the beta I previously had and I do not want something that I have to clean so often. This sounds silly asking, but what kind of fish is similar to a goldfish as far as the following/eating finger tendencies, but has upkeep relatively similar or less involved to having a beta fish? I would like it to be about the same size as a goldfish or slightly smaller but not something tiny like a nanos or neon tetras. Besides those very specific features, I am open to anything and don't care about appearance at all.

Interesting question.

Which type of Goldfish did you see at the store? There are quite a variety of GF, and some get 12-18 inches long and others maybe up to 6".

It is actually great to see how the fish store person would caution you with a GF. They have special needs, mainly space and water filtration.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

What size (gallons) tank would you have room for? GF are social and usually like a friend. It is not out of the question, but more work and a larger tank than usually needed for a Betta.

Welcome to the community! There is a link in my signature of this post which discusses fish care and keeping a tank. Very helpful and full of useful information.

It was one of those fish with the weird bubbly head like their brain is poking out of their skull. No idea what kind that may be but I’m sure someone on here will if not you. Also I believe it’s either a 4 or 6 gallon tank I’d have to look when I get home.

Ah, probably an Oranda. They have a Wen which is the bubbly brain looking thing on their head.

And indeed, a tank under ~20 gallons wouldn't be ultimately suitable for a fancy GF.

Other options which aren't a round ball like an Oranda but always want to be fed would be a group of male Guppies ~4 for a 5G or 5 for a 6G. Or male Endlers. They are smaller but also are most always looking to be fed, right up front and very flashy.

I would also recommend checking out an Orange Dwarf Mexican Crayfish
https://imperialtropicals.com/products/cambarellus-patzcuarenis-mexican-dwarf-orange-crayfish. You could do one with a few Endlers in a 5-6G

Many of us have had the experience of a pet choosing us instead of the other way around. Usually it's about other types of creatures - in fact, it sounds a little silly when applied to a fish.

Suggestion: take your daughter to the fish store and walk past lots of tanks and fish, and see who follows her. My guess is there are other types who will do the same.

I chose my latest betta based on him "stalking" me at the store. I was only in for supplies, but every time I passed the betta cups he alone would move, and it was to follow me as far as he could in his limited space. When I passed by in the other direction, he did it again. Curious, I started going back and forth, and sure enough, he was pacing my movements.

Fast-forward to later that day, when I had my new fish in his tank at home and he was wagging his tail and doing backflips - literally - every time I walked by. A year later the betta has calmed down but still gets excited and happy when it sees me. Maybe something to look for in a marriage partner...:D

Many of us have had the experience of a pet choosing us instead of the other way around. Usually it's about other types of creatures - in fact, it sounds a little silly when applied to a fish.

Suggestion: take your daughter to the fish store and walk past lots of tanks and fish, and see who follows her. My guess is there are other types who will do the same.

I chose my latest betta based on him "stalking" me at the store. I was only in for supplies, but every time I passed the betta cups he alone would move, and it was to follow me as far as he could in his limited space. When I passed by in the other direction, he did it again. Curious, I started going back and forth, and sure enough, he was pacing my movements.

Fast-forward to later that day, when I had my new fish in his tank at home and he was wagging his tail and doing backflips - literally - every time I walked by. A year later the betta has calmed down but still gets excited and happy when it sees me. Maybe something to look for in a marriage partner...:D

Good points and, yes, I too have been chosen at the fish store... ❤

Back
Top Bottom