Moving to the Darkside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rotorhead22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have decided to change out my gravel/Aragonite mix in my 55 gallon Malawi Cichlid tank to Black Diamond blasting sand substrate. There some amazing tanks out there that use the black substrate and its time I do the same. I'll post before and after pics. Wish me luck.

image-37493744.jpg

Black Sand

I have decided to change out my gravel/Aragonite mix in my 55 gallon Malawi Cichlid tank to Black Diamond blasting sand substrate. There some amazing tanks out there that use the black substrate and its time I do the same. I'll post before and after pics. Wish me luck.

View attachment 144883

I myself love the look of the black sand > Is that just regular silica sand used for sandblasting? Sorry if it's a dumb question !

Stumpyjr said:
I myself love the look of the black sand > Is that just regular silica sand used for sandblasting? Sorry if it's a dumb question !

The blasting sand is coal slag, and yes it is for sand blasting. I use it along with Eco complete. It looks great.

What mesh size is recommended for the Black Diamond media?

I got my Black Diamond media at Tractor Supply. It is Grit# 20/40 (Medium Grit). 8 bucks for a 50 lb bag. The link is below:

http://www.ati-blackdiamond.com/products/wicked-sister.html

Typical Chemical Composition of Coal Slag

Silicon Dioxide= 47.20%,
Aluminum oxide= 21.39%,
Titanium dioxide= 1.01%,
Ferric oxide= 19.23%,
Calcium oxide= 6.80%,
Magnesium Oxide= 1.47%,
Potassium Oxide= 1.60% and
Sodium Oxide= 0.62%

This material is also available as Black Beauty abrasive media.

For you all that have used this product, did you have issues with "floaters"?

It was a pain getting those floating granules off the surface of the water. Also, there was a very fine black dust floating on the surface; not too much.

Other than that, the fish are liking it. Put them in last night and I am waiting for the water to clear up a little before I take some pics.

rotorhead22 said:
For you all that have used this product, did you have issues with "floaters"?

It was a pain getting those floating granules off the surface of the water. Also, there was a very fine black dust floating on the surface; not too much.

Other than that, the fish are liking it. Pit them in last night and I am waiting for the water to clear up a little before I take some pics.

I had a few but nothing major. I didn't have any black dust.

rotorhead22 said:
I am not familiar with the Eco Complete. What is its function? Have you seen a benefit?

It's substrate for planted tanks. I can't say I've seen a benefit over other substrate since I've never had plants without it.

Pics at Last

So the tank has cleared up quite a bit. I have rescaped a few times since adding the black substrate. I have attached the before and after pics.

What do you all think? :)

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 134
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 131
in the before pic my eye is immediately drawn by the brightness of light reflected from the substate but the after pic draws my eye to the level of the rockwork and most of all the fish and seems as though it would be much easier to stare at for hours on end, definetely a good change of scape

I like sand a lot. I like the scape in the before pic sorry just being honest :)

Reason? I like the way you pretty much have all the light rocks stacked the right. Then the tunnel/cave in the center. Gave the tank a nice look.

I like sand a lot. I like the scape in the before pic sorry just being honest :)

Reason? I like the way you pretty much have all the light rocks stacked the right. Then the tunnel/cave in the center. Gave the tank a nice look.

Either substrate looks fine (im partial to the darker one) but to convicts point, the "before" scape centered my focus on the caves while the "after" scape had me looking left and right and back...like watching a tennis match. :)

Thanks. :banghead: I wasn't convinced either.

Either substrate looks fine (im partial to the darker one) but to convicts point, the "before" scape centered my focus on the caves while the "after" scape had me looking left and right and back...like watching a tennis match. :)

Point taken. [FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Yeah, I wrestled with the whole center thing; the center has to be higher or have something to draw the eye to it. Maybe more wood or rocks? Or move the cave on our left to the center? [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI][/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI][/FONT][FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]What is weird that before the fish would hang at either end of the tank and now they like to hang out in the center of the tank? Go figure. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI][/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]I am going to have to read up on "Feng Shui for Aquaria" Lol. I though I was joking about the Feng Shui thing but there are lots of articles about Aquarium placement in a room and aquascaping. Found myself reading about Feng Shui and Chi so had to close em' and get back to this. :whistle: [FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Does anyone want to write an article or book on Feng Shui for the Cichlid Aquarium? Possible title "Cichlid begins with Chi" :) It would be nice to compile all the nicest scapes (un planted or lightly planted) like Andrew's and Dino's, etc in one spot to get ideas. Maybe I'll take this on if I could use photos from this site with the proper references?[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI][/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]As for my tank, l[/FONT][FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]uckily all scapes are temporary and a work in progress. I'll move stuff around untill it "looks" balanced. Stay tuned. (y)[/FONT]

That would be pretty cool actually and I'm honored that you included in that!

Thanks for the compliment!! Aqua scaping is one of those funny things though. I truly believe there is NO right or wrong way. It's in the eye of the beholder. What I see and like others may not. I'm just honest.

I like your tank very much. It's just what my eye sees and what I would do if it were mine. But it's not lol. So... To each there own. If you do start up that please let me know if I can help.

Back
Top Bottom