My 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gus

Aquarium Advice Regular
A couple of pictures showing my newly established 55 gallon tank. What do you guys think? I know I need to add a background.

Attachments

• IMG00409-20101213-0559.jpg
    IMG00409-20101213-0559.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG00408-20101213-0558.jpg
    IMG00408-20101213-0558.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 109
A dark background would really set it off. A dark blue or black would look good. The cobbles look great, the trick is to try and make it so the piles of rocks are not exactly uniform. I know they are hard to stack and it takes time to get it natural looking. I like the look of cobbles in a tank.

http://www.google.com.au/images?q=malawi%20mbuna%20cobbles&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1345&bih=593
May be this will gove you some ideas.

If you can get a flow maker, you can create a current around and through the rocks with careful placement and the current will help keep detritus from ccumulating too much.

Flow maker? Never heard of it, but I'll look it up, thanks!

Cool, thanks. I have a powerhead, can I use that instead?

Yep. Just place it where it won't blow the gravel around but the flow is directed amongst the rockwork. The fish love the flow.

Hi, I did install the powerhead facing down the rocks, and a lot of their poop flew around! Also, you are right, they love the flow! They face the powerhead and stay there for a while! A total treat to watch!

Your filter will take out any floating bits and while you may see floating particles at times you can polish the water by using filter floss in the the HOBs.

Thanks for the idea, I had no clue what 'filter floss' was :)

Back
Top Bottom