My Acei Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 with Labs and Peacocks. Twice now I have attempted to add a few Yellow Tail Aceis. Both times they all fell ill to some odd aliment where that looks similar to saddle back and/or mouth fungus and all died. Both times other fish were infected, but they recovered. At first I thought it was ick so I had treated with salt and heat. It cleared up, but after seeing it at it's worst I'm thinking that it was just coincidence and had nothing to do with salt/heat. I have had a stable tank now for several weeks.

My question is: Is there some problem that Aceis are particularly susceptible to? I'm wanting to give them a try again...

Because someone will ask...

NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 40
Ph: 7.4
CL2: 0
Alkalinity: 150
Hardness: 300

Labenator65000 said:
I have a 55 with Labs and Peacocks. Twice now I have attempted to add a few Yellow Tail Aceis. Both times they all fell ill to some odd aliment where that looks similar to saddle back and/or mouth fungus and all died. Both times other fish were infected, but they recovered. At first I thought it was ick so I had treated with salt and heat. It cleared up, but after seeing it at it's worst I'm thinking that it was just coincidence and had nothing to do with salt/heat. I have had a stable tank now for several weeks.

My question is: Is there some problem that Aceis are particularly susceptible to? I'm wanting to give them a try again...

Because someone will ask...

NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 40
Ph: 7.4
CL2: 0
Alkalinity: 150
Hardness: 300

Just make sure you get good stock and not the fish from walmart or something like that. I've had mine close to a year and they are the healthiest fish in the tank.

joel618 said:
Just make sure you get good stock and not the fish from walmart or something like that. I've had mine close to a year and they are the healthiest fish in the tank.

Hmm.. Does PetSmart fall into the same category as walmart?

it kind of just depends which petsmart because all stores are different. i have a petsmart near me that has excellent quality fish, they dont have much for choices but they take very good care of there fish and most of the employees know what they are talking about, pretty much just watch the fish in the store if there active and show good colors and look like there healthy in general then i would go for it, but try to put them in a quarantine tank before adding them to your main tank.

OK well here's one of those morsels of information where I need to get several opinions and go with the common opinion. So I would like to hear from others: Is a 4' 55 gallon sufficient for Yellow Tail Aceis?

Labenator65000 said:
OK well here's one of those morsels of information where I need to get several opinions and go with the common opinion. So I would like to hear from others: Is a 4' 55 gallon sufficient for Yellow Tail Aceis?

Yes, I would be comfortable with acei in a 55.......they really do need the 4' to swim. I have a 4' 90g and have 4 acei. I agree it is "best" to have a 5' but a 4' gives them enough length and they will be happy. Anything smaller is no good IMO.

I think any fish would appreciate more swimming room, but 4' seems like a decent amount of space and what I would consider a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom