my angel is getting to be TOO piggy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been trying to hide the cory's food and the algae disk for the pleco in the little caves because the angel is eating ALL the food. He looks like he is going to explode after he eats. I thought I did a good job, but after feeding time last night I looked in on the fish and the angel's stomach was huge again. So I looked in the caves and he had gotten the food out some how and ate it! How do I keep him away from the disks?

:lol: I had just mentioned that my angels do the same thing! They do it with just about everything I put in the tank.

I drop the wafers after "lights" out so that they don't "see" it. :mrgreen:

I also try to be careful of where I place the veggies. I have a clip (which is totally useless since they can get at it before the otos can). I discovered that "hiding" it under the driftwood doesn't always work either. Those angels are just greedy little buggers.

The only veggie that he steals is spinach. He leaves the peas, broc, and zuch. I will try the lights out, but I doubt that will stop him.

I'm having the same problem... even thinking of moving my cories to a different tank... let me know if you find a good solution!

Jchillin is right - wait a while after the lights go out before dropping in the algae wafers. By that time, the angels will be resting for the night, while the corys will be on the prowl for food, armed with their strong sense of smell. This worked for me in the past with my piggy zebra danios, and it's working again with my piggy tiger barbs!

It won't matter when you put it in, the angel will find it. If they're the dominant fish in the tank they won't rest at night as much they normally would I suggest just getting the larger marineland algae discs. They can't pick those up and work great in my heavily planted tank. All of the cories get enough food and the angels are happy. Angels need to be fed alot, if they don't eat at least one good meal a day they'll bully the food you feed to the rest of the fish away.

I agree. I feed my cories and plecos after the lights have been out for a while. Otherwise, they would never be able to compete with the angels.

Definitley do what Jchillin and QTOFFER recommended. My angels thankfully are not like that. The cories rest during the day though, and will come out for the hunt after the lights go out.

I have the problem with my silver dollars. Sometimes, I have to literally dip my hand in the tank and place food on the bottom so that they will not get it, or see it falling. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom