My first cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought two cichlids for my 55 gallon! One Oscar and One Jack Dempsey. I'm a little worried though because the Oscar just lays in a corner of the tank and the Dempsey keeps hiding. What can I do to correct this problem? I know the water parameters are fine. It previously housed alot of fish and I used my API test kit before placing them in the tank. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

I don't think anything's wrong. For the first day or two my cichlids just sat in a corner. The male would lay on his side every once in a while (like your oscar) too. It was a little scary for me. I've had them for just over a week and now they are both very active. Just don't feed them and leave the light off.

So, when you bought them did you just throw them in the tank or did you float the bag for 20 mins, then add a little bit of water from the tank every 30 mins or so? I'm sure you did, just making sure.

BTW: I'm no expert but I think 55 might be a little small for an oscar AND a JD... That JD will get like 10"...

If there arent problems with them now, there will be in the future. A single 55 is pushing it for one Oscar alone, just be wary of territoriality/water quality. If you insist on keeping them both, if not I suggest returning one :)

If you just put them in the tank give them time to settle.

Yes, I acclimated before putting them in lol. I'm not that inexperienced! Haha. I know the 55 is small. It's only temporary until I can get my 125 up and running.

yea Oscars are big babies... lazy slow and timid... but also when they want to be, they can be real interactive and fast! watch out for future water splashes and watch out that it doesnt jump outta the tank!

OsciTheOscar said:
yea Oscars are big babies... lazy slow and timid... but also when they want to be, they can be real interactive and fast! watch out for future water splashes and watch out that it doesnt jump outta the tank!

B4 I got my mbuna's,I had two oscars,they have jumped out of my tank b4 during feeding time/alot of times. They where about 7 inches at the time. Yours will lay/sit around for a couple of days until they adjust. Good luck!!!!

like previously said... id keep the light off and not feed them for a couple days... they'll start acting like dogs and come to the front hungry for food waggin their behinds!

mine is almost 11" now and everytime i walk into the room hes up at the glass... ive had him jump out once but other than that he jumps outta the water for his food sometimes... quite a neat fish!

My oscar sometimes bites me when I put my hand in my tank to feed my pleco/Eel. :p

Scared the **** out of me the first time just cause i wasn't expecting it lol

Don't worry. They will be fine. They are just trying to get familiar with their new house.

Back
Top Bottom