My little divas: I have discus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What it boils down to most is the volume of GIH they produce. To get back to what you hinted to before about their water being pristine conditions does have some play on it but also they have a dry season they go thru in the wild. Not that it plays too much of a role in inhibiting growth because the volume of water moved is still high.

I feel what's been found in regards to learning from Discus development has played an important role when looking at the other "common" fish. This is only my opinion based on what I've read from researching them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Thanks!

What's GIH? Can't get that one.

Thanks!

What's GIH? Can't get that one.

Sorry Delapool. GIH is Growth Inhibiting Hormones. Something all fish produce and has been a hot topic of discussion among the Discus folks for quite some time. That's where the discussion of large volume, frequent WC's comes up as a necessity and not just a thought.

Swimming sideways on the bottom while the tank refills. It's their nightly routine.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415753829492.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415753829492.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 106
Hey Mama. I'm really getting interested in keeping discus. Here is my main concern. My tap water ph is 8.5 range. My tanks run closer to 8.0 and I use Prime with every water change. No other chemicals really, maybe the occasional stress zyme with larger water changes. I really don't want to invest in these beauties if my hard water will prevent them from thriving. Wondered what you thought. They are getting so big btw!

As difficult as discus are, i think they're not at the same time. Its all about consistency. My tap ph is 7.0, so i use Kent's ph down to lower it a tiny bit, prime during water changes, 86 degrees and soft water and they're thriving. I feel like the most important thing is the constant water changes. I believe theres accessories/sponges you can buy that makes your water softer. Which could get excessive with the often wc. Im sure the original poster would know more, but this is just my experience so far housing disus

^^^^^ Discus experts? Still curious about this soft/hard acid/alkaline topic.

It's highly debatable still. As long as your fish are properly acclimated to your water, they should do fine. Also, unless pointed out, most that have Discus have domestic, tank bred and raised. They're a bit different from wilds that actually do require a much softer water to thrive in. The whole understanding in regards to softer water is when breeding them. Hard water contains more calcium and if the eggs aren't fertilized by the male in a specific time frame, they will not be able to since the calcium creates a hard shell covering over the eggs.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I am still reading and saving. I'm not willing/skilled enough to be making ph adjustments with chemicals. I read driftwood naturally lowers ph, don't know if that's a myth or not. Water changes I'm very good about. 3-5 per week for adults? Thanks again!

Driftwood is said to lower ph yes. I use the kent ph down by eye with the water changes. As long as you put close to the same amount each time. People have discus at all diff ph's thriving. Im sure thatd be fine for adults depending on the % wc

Depending on tank size and stock will better determine what is a good regiment for WC's. For adults (anything 5.5" and above) I would do at least 1 of 50% or more per week, but would push for 2. The biggest thing to keep in mind is keeping the nitrates as low as possible.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I am still reading and saving. I'm not willing/skilled enough to be making ph adjustments with chemicals. I read driftwood naturally lowers ph, don't know if that's a myth or not. Water changes I'm very good about. 3-5 per week for adults? Thanks again!
Hi, I hadn't replied to this yet because I really just didn't know the answer. 8.5 seems awfully high, but on the other hand I have read accounts of discus adapting to harder water, I just don't know how far outside of their preferred range you can go with them. Jessica rose mentioned that her tap water was at 7.0, there's no way I'd mess with adjusting that. It's close enough. Our water here is very soft, pH about 6.5 so it's great for discus, however I do have to use buffer to keep my rift Lake cichlids alive. I was under the impression that it is easier/more stable to buffer up than down, but I can't speak from experience there since I have only buffered up.

3-5 times a week is what I've heard recommended for adults, or every other day, something like that. I'm still on the 100% daily schedule and will be for the foreseeable future. :p

In a 55 g with 6 (2-3 1/2 inch )discus we do at least 50% every other day.
I'd be doing more if you want to maximize their growth- every experienced discus hobbyist I've ever talked with would recommend the same. I'm on the 100% daily schedule until mine get to 4" or so. I've got them in a 20 gallon high right now and will move them to a 40 breeder at around 3 inches. The reason I started with a smaller grow out tank was that it would be easier to keep up on the daily water changes.

I have 6 juveniles. I just use a sponge filter in a bare tank. It's so much easier to clean a bare tank. I use 2x 50 Watt heaters. The reason for this is that if one of them sticks on, it isn't powerful enough by itself to kill my fish.

Back
Top Bottom