my malawi tank set up brand new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great! If it were me I'd plant some Jungle val along the back wall to give it a very natural look.

Any plans for what fish you wanted?

What size is it?

Mogurako said:
Looks great! If it were me I'd plant some Jungle val along the back wall to give it a very natural look.

Any plans for what fish you wanted?

What size is it?

I'm not very good with the plants though. They need extra are really don't they?
And would I need some soil to plant them and things like that? And thinking of Malawi fish. Not sure which one though.

And it's a 240 litre.

Steo the great said:
I'm not very good with the plants though. They need extra are really don't they?
And would I need some soil to plant them and things like that? And thinking of Malawi fish. Not sure which one though.

And it's a 240 litre.

I think the plant Idea would look great in that tank with a black background.

Chris22 said:
I think the plant Idea would look great in that tank with a black background.

Yeah but I think you can see your fish better with the black background.

Mogurako said:
Vals are a very undemanding plant and will grow in sand.

Ok. And how many would you suggest I have a uv light on the tank for plant growth and how many hours a day of that light do they need
Thanks

Steo the great said:
Ok. And how many would you suggest I have a uv light on the tank for plant growth and how many hours a day of that light do they need
Thanks

You can put quite a few in there as long as they aren't to crowded to start. They will grow to fill in the gaps. The amount of lighting depends on the strength of your lighting.

Mogurako said:
You can put quite a few in there as long as they aren't to crowded to start. They will grow to fill in the gaps. The amount of lighting depends on the strength of your lighting.

Thanks I think I might go out tomorrow and try and start one or 2 up.

I've been cycling my tank fine. Then the other day I bought a plant an put it in side the tank and ever since then the ammo doesn't seem to drop below .50.
I am putting in fertiliser drop ever day would this have an impact on my readings?
Really confused at the moment if someone can help that would be great.

bcurlacher54 said:
how long has it been cycling? did you use media from another tank? or start from scratch?

Hey. Yeah it's cycling about 2 weeks not and I've used alot of media from my previous tank. Like gravel the filter and ornaments as well. And for the first week everything had been going smoothly and then suddenly it stopped removing the ammonia overnight.

So I'm very confused lol

if you go to the getting started forum, theres a guy called eco23, REALLY good with cycling questions. i can help with the basics but i have no idea why the plants may have messed up your cycle.

bcurlacher54 said:
if you go to the getting started forum, theres a guy called eco23, REALLY good with cycling questions. i can help with the basics but i have no idea why the plants may have messed up your cycle.

Yeah thanks. Eco is on my friends list. I might give him another call on this thanks though.

New picture I have my fish 2 fish. Looking well and swimming well.
Thanks for the help of getting me there.

Attachments

• image-4135263507.jpg
    image-4135263507.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom