My Shell Dweller's thread cont'd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My last post was over 108 days old and so unfortunately, I could not revive it. I talked to Mr. Dave over @ Davesfish and he gave me some good advice on which species I could keep in my 46 bowfront. Ocellatus and Temporalis for shellies. He also mentioned Julidochromis ornatus and Julidochromis marlieri Gombi. Any other smaller Tanganyikan Cichlids that would fit nicely in the tank? Can you mix and match or species only?

My question is, what does a stocking option look like if I went Ocellatus or Temporalis?

What would the options be if I went Ornatus or marlieri Gombi?

Just trying to see how many I can comfortably put in my tank so I don't overstock it. This is my first true Cichlid tank and I want to make sure I do it the right way.

There is cyprochromis to swimm in the open water. Also the lemon Cichlid for a splash of color.

Need some advice on Shellies!!! I'm ordering my fishies soon

Good questions I'd like to know as well, Steven.
What are the dimensions of a 46bow?

I'm contemplating on keeping shellies, mikrogeophagus or another variety of apistogramma species in a new cycling 20long.
Tough decisions we have.

Shellies have always been on my list to keep some day too. There are a couple AA members with dwarf Tang experience lurking out there.
I'd only say basic advice:
Sand substate
Crushed coral as natural water hardener
3 or more shells per fish

Sand, check
Bunch of shells, check
Water comes out of the tap at 8.2 pH, check

I talked to Dave, who is well known for his cichlids and he told me multifasciatus and brevis can coexist well.

I asked him about fry and he said they will eat each other's fry but won't get them all. So I'm thinking about starting with a low population and letting the tank fill itself out

A game of thrones coexistence. Once the 2 colonies establish on either side of the tank, it will almost become self sustained with regular fry feedings. Scape a wall to the north of the tank with one the species on top as the Nights Watch Crows.

I am going to get a bunch of Texas Holey Rock since I live about 30 minutes away from where they mine the rocks.

That's a valuable mine! I've got a ton of it currently in storage, and $paid a ton for it. THC looks great on sand and it would make a fantastic northern wall[emoji6]

Lol yes it would! Unfortunately I can't replicate the sheer amount of male genatelia that show has to contribute to the realism

Back
Top Bottom